bridgeford

Split from scores discussion

Post by bridgeford »

Girl
English: 45 (ok)
Math: 49 (awful)
Score: 358.28
OOC for all schools

Overall very disappointing. Not proud of result.
Capt Anxious

Re: 2016 entry scores

Post by Capt Anxious »

really ? Personally i'd say 358 are pretty damn good results !
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Capt Anxious wrote:really ? Personally i'd say 358 are pretty damn good results !
Me too! I hope you've not told your DD how you feel?
newatthis

Post by newatthis »

Bridgeford - This is an excellent score. Let's not forget these are 10-11 year olds! You should be very proud :D
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

358!? :shock:

That puts your child comfortably into the green zone of every single CSSE school except KEGS OOC. I think that is pretty exceptional. Huge congratulations are due to them.
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

I think that's excellent!? My son got the same maths score and one point more for english and I thought he did fantastically. Very proud of him!
bridgeford

Post by bridgeford »

Proudmumregardless wrote:
Capt Anxious wrote:really ? Personally i'd say 358 are pretty damn good results !
Me too! I hope you've not told your DD how you feel?
I am not trying to be inflammatory.

To put some context. We live way out of most CSSE schools; so Chelmsford CHS (OOC) and Woodford CHS are only realistic option. CSSE is more of back-pocket option (just in case nothing else works out). So this score is (hopefully) not about getting a place.

Understandably all preparation focus has been on CEM. My daughter only took the CSSE practice tests 2 days before the actual exams.

I understand the differences in English papers between CEM & CSSE; so score of 45 in English is excusable. But maths paper is a maths paper - CSSE or CEM pattern shouldn't make a difference. Moreover, CSSE maths test is not time-pressured (as CEM is); so I can't see how mistakes could be made in maths test (barring 1-2 silly ones). These CSSE math tests are nowhere of the same difficulty as that for City of London Girls, Bancroft, St. Olave's etc. In my mind, 60 is a par score in CSSE maths.

The way I see it, this score (or similar performance) wouldn't have been sufficient for CCHS OOC entry (2 years back when CCHS also used CSSE papers). I admit that there is no guarantee that my daughter has performed equally (badly) in CEM. I will discover it in 2-3 days anyway whether she has been good enough for CCHS. Ahead of CCHS result, she has got me very worried and jittery.

I haven't discussed the CSSE result as yet with her; but she shouldn't mind me telling that she could've done better.
Last edited by bridgeford on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

bridgeford wrote:Girl
OOC for all schools

By no shakes of the imagination is this a bad result. You should be so proud of your DD, not many score over 350. I hope you tell your DD that you're proud and not show your disappointment! I'm shocked!
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Sorry I still can't see your logic. Your daughter got an exceptional mark. Congratulate her

Not all the schools have catchment areas.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

bridgeford wrote:Girl
OOC for all schools

Okay, free speech and all that, no reason why you shouldn't express how you feel, but...

You may not be proud of your poor child's efforts, but she has every right to be. Everyone scoring less than 60/60 on both papers 'could have done better', naturally, but it is still a very good score which gives her the pick of three excellent grammar schools. Even if you don't actually rate said schools much. You could just be thankful that, given that you live in catchment for WCHS, the CSSE actually extends to you the privilege of entering your DD for its exam, something the London Borough Redbridge does not feel the need to offer to, say, the inhabitants of Westcliff, Chelmsford, Colchester (or even Brentwood or Upminster).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now