St Olaves vs QE boys

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
snr

St Olaves vs QE boys

Post by snr »

Hi all,

Can anyone help me with a query- have an option to move child from St Olaves grammar school, kent to QE boys, Barnet due to job transfer. Have looked at league tables and rest. But anyone who could compare both schools in other aspects ? Will not move if my child will be better off where he is now.
thanks
IronMikeTyson

Re: St Olaves vs QE boys

Post by IronMikeTyson »

will he have to sit an entrance exam for QE ?
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
snr

Post by snr »

yes exam already done, waiting for result
copella

Post by copella »

People have vastly different views about QE, it's a bit like marmite either you like it or you don't. Whilst no one would doubt it's excellent educational achievements where the concerns focus on is how they acheive this. If you look at the Hertfordshire section there is a very recent thread about culling at 6th form as well as many threads from happy QE parents who are very positive about the school. I know nothing about St Olaves but perhaps it would be best if you visited the schools again to get a feel as only you will know what suits your child and family.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

snr,

If you can avoid moving, I really wouldn't move. Because of the friendships already established. Why give up something so important?

But if you do decide to go ahead, as Copella says beware the cull after Year 11. QE Boys rejects around 40 boys from each Year 11 cohort of 180.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Check out St Olaves in The Times league tables - they did brilliantly. To be honest I didn't look for QE.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Snr, I would suggest you do a search on QE boys in the Herts/Barnet section. There is lots and lots of info and strong opinions. I think it is a fantastic school but it does not suit all boys so I would be very careful to make sure it is the right type of school for your son. DG
toucan

Post by toucan »

Any perceived (and possibly misconceived) benefits to your son from moving to QE may be offset by the upheaval of changing schools.

St Olave's provides a first-class education and it could be risky to throw that away. The grass is not necessarily greener in Barnet than in Orpington.

Maybe get the job move over with first, then see how the land lies in terms of schooling.

Good luck.
Toucan
work-2-win

Post by work-2-win »

Hi all, please can anybody tell me, which school is better between QE and St Olaves. :?:
mad?

Post by mad? »

work-2-win wrote:Hi all, please can anybody tell me, which school is better between QE and St Olaves. :?:
If you follow the advice of the others posters on this thread you will have the answer. But, before you do, better for who?
mad?