Question regarding boys grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Essexmama

Question regarding boys grammar school

Post by Essexmama »

I hope that someone can help with my question - we have had a sleepless night!

My son passed the 11 plus yesterday with a score of 307. We are in catchment. Obviously, this is a close call and I wondered whether he is guaranteed a grammar school place? Or, does it depend on whether there are a large number of children with higher scores. I understand that we may not get our first choice (Southend boys) but would be happy to accept Westcliff boys.
ToadMum

Re: Question regarding boys grammar school

Post by ToadMum »

Essexmama wrote:I hope that someone can help with my question - we have had a sleepless night!

My son passed the 11 plus yesterday with a score of 307. We are in catchment. Obviously, this is a close call and I wondered whether he is guaranteed a grammar school place? Or, does it depend on whether there are a large number of children with higher scores. I understand that we may not get our first choice (Southend boys) but would be happy to accept Westcliff boys.
There are 150 in-catchment places at SHSB and 115 at WHSB (unless they have also increased their PAN?). So a total of 265(?'+') grammar places, plus the places at Tommy More, Shoeburyness and Cecil Jones (and some Southend catchment boys will qualify for and choose KEGS, of course). At the information afternoons, the HTs should be able to tell you how many in-catchment boys passed. In recent years, all boys have got places so long as they named both grammar schools.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Hi essexmamma, congratulations on your sons pass! We were in the same position last year with a 307. The good news is that they have never had full in catchment numbers so your son will most likely be going to grammar school. Go to both parent meetings and ask the heads if enough in catchment boys got a 303. It was westcliff that said if you were in catchment you were guaranteed a place at one of the schools. I burst into tears when he confirmed it ;-)

You will most likely be going to westcliff as shsb is very sought after by in catchment boys.
Essexmama

Post by Essexmama »

Many thanks for your prompt replies. This is helpful information, as the CSSE office were unable to confirm whether he would be offered a place at either of the two grammar schools with this score.

Fingers crossed for a place at either Westcliff or Southend
veryhopefulmum

Post by veryhopefulmum »

As you are local to Southend I wondered whether you could clear something up for me.

Do you (or anyone else) know why SHSB is so much more popular IC than WHSB and yet for OC boys WHSB seems preferred over SHSB?

We're from Chelmsford and will most likely be applying to one of them so would be interested to know the reasons for this.

Thanks
Kace

Post by Kace »

veryhopefulmum wrote: Do you (or anyone else) know why SHSB is so much more popular IC than WHSB and yet for OC boys WHSB seems preferred over SHSB?
My i/c boy is in Yr 8 at SHSB and selected it over WHSB based on the school's sporting achievements and the "feel" of the school on the open evening.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Also year 8 IC SHSB here (waves at Kace :D ), although we actually live closer to WHSB. In our case, DS2 was already familiar with the school, as his brother was there until the end of year 11 and he had been to various events at the school over that time. Which of course begs the question, why did DS1 choose it? Like many, he just preferred the 'feel' of the school to that of Westcliff when we first went to the open evenings and we were also encouraged by one of his teachers, who had attended SHSB.

It's not totally a 'marmite / vegemite' issue - although DS1 didn't want us to put Westcliff on his CAF at all, DS2 liked it and even dithered over which school to put first - but I think it demonstrates that you do need to visit schools if at all possible.

One thing to consider is transport - SHSB is arguably easier to get to by train (more flexible than contract bus and you get a discount with Scholars Season Ticket scheme) if you are near the station at your end, with one change at Shenfield.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

My year 8 o/c DS chose SHSB over KEGs and WHSB because of the feel of the school. We went to the open day and he said 'this is the school I want to go to!'. He loves it despite not being sporty. The music department is fab. We had a couple of issues of bullying in the first term which the school dealt with extremely quickly and satisfactory.

(Hi Toadmum and Kace!!!)
Kace

Post by Kace »

Not contributing to the thread, but completing the SHSB Year 8 wave:
hi to ToadMum and pinkrabbit38 :wink:
veryhopefulmum

Post by veryhopefulmum »

Thanks, interesting to read your replies. We looked at Westcliff and fell in love with it but couldn't make the meeting at Southend. We don't know the area at all so what you've said about proximity to the train station is good to know.