Our (long) story - Unsuccessful Appeal.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LiseCook

Our (long) story - Unsuccessful Appeal.

Post by LiseCook »

We received the result from our appeal last Thursday. I have been unable to write about our experience due to the enormous disappointment we have had to deal with. We were unsuccessful. It’s been a tough couple of days and I do not envy anyone who may have this to come. However, I still feel I have been privileged in finding this forum and the very incredible people who spend much of their own time advising, supporting and giving realistic and constructive advice in order to help so many of us getting through this.

We went to appeal with 117 x 2 which in itself was shocking. Our Daughter sat many tests prior to the actual 11+ tests and only under-achieved once! She even came out from the first real 11+ test smiling as she was utterly convinced she had passed it – and even with some ease! However, when the letter arrived – there is was – black on white, 117 x 2. Our daughter had not passed. We could not believe it, but more shattering – neither could she. Our Daughter was inconsolable and we had to gently try and explain to her that, in our eyes, she had not failed. However, she was adamant that she had passed and asked me to call the Head immediately so that we could arrange for us going to appeal.

My husband and I went to see the Head Teacher at the school the following Monday. Our Daughters Class Teacher was present as well. They both expressed their utmost surprise of the fact that our Daughter had not passed. The Head confirmed that she had sent a list of priority into Council prior to the children taking the 11+ tests. This being a list which “gradesâ€
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Lise
How sorry I am to hear your unhappy news, what can anyone say,what a terrible time for all of you especially your dd.It could, so easily have been us,as our dd came out of the 11+ with the same confidence as yours.
You could have done nothing more than you did, how were you supposed to know not to include details of your dd's tutor. I have no expertise whatsoever,but I really feel for you,maybe another poster can offer something more than sincere sympathy.
Is there no other school that you could investigate that would be better than your failing feeder secondary? Please don't give up, there must be something you can do to maximise her educational chances,(apart from being a supportive and loving mum,which you obviously are) All the best I hope someone can advise or offer more than I. Big hug to you and your dd.
LiseCook

Thank you

Post by LiseCook »

Dearest Proud Mum,

You are very kind - thank you. We have not put that particular failing Upper School down as one of our choices - so fingers crossed for now that she will get into the one Secondary School we did put down.......otherwise, I shall prepare myself for another appeal ;)

Lise x
nibbee

Post by nibbee »

Dear Lise
I am truly sorry to hear your news. We have our appeal this week and are full of apprehension about the whole event. I am in no way an expert on the matter, just another mum going through the same process for which I have no control. Deep down we all know whether our children will do best in a grammar school environment and this makes it even harder if we have an unsuccessful outcome at appeal. It is extremely hard to understand even when you have a mountain of academic evidence and support of the head, an appeal can still be turned down. Who knows what goes through the minds of the panel on the day. I know it is hard, but you have done your best and that is what you must hold onto. I am sure there will be plenty of good advice from others on this forum.
Keep your chin up and best wishes for the future.
Y

Post by Y »

What a horrid experience, and one we all dread, but don't give up! It sounds like you are in Bucks - you still have the option of 12+. Check out the Bucks section, where Sally-Anne and others have extensive experience of 12+. You still have another chance, but it's a long wait. Chin up.

Y
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Lise, at least you have other options and there's always the 12+ in your area, wherever your dd goes I'm sure with support like she has, she will be successful and happy xx :)
capers123

Re: Our (long) story - Unsuccessful Appeal.

Post by capers123 »

Sorry to hear your news.
LiseCook wrote:what seemed to be, 3 rather charming Ladies welcoming us to the appeal. (None of them with horns on their foreheads as I had foreseen in my dreams leading up to the appeal ;)
We tend to keep them strapped back below our hair line during appeals. They only pop back up during tea breaks. Good job you didn't see our forked tails coming out of the back of the seat, or our cloven hooves forces into oh-so uncomfortable 'normal' shoes. Our goat-like eyes are a bit of a giveaway, which is why I normally wear dark glasses :)
I have to admit that I failed to se how some of the questions were relevant at all.
It's to build up a general picture of the child. And sometimes to help put parents at their ease - if parents mention my pet subject, I'll sometimes burrow further, even though it's not strictly relevant (as parents are often proud that the child is good at it).
3 Ladies had in 20 minutes decided that our Daughter is unsuitable for Grammar School!
Well, strictly it was the exam result that decided it, with the 3 horn-ed ladies just upholding that. You say "Our Daughter sat many tests prior to the actual 11+ tests and only under-achieved once!" so is there a chance that the tutor had over-inflated your expectations? Probably not if the head put them 2nd on the list. What academic evidence did you take?

Certificates I tend to just glance at as they're more often than not that important.
Our problem, however is, that the Upper School in our catch man area, is graded level 4 by Ofsted in all subjects – the school is failing and has been threatened with closure.
One of the grammars in this area recently got an Ofsted level 3, yet it's thought of as a good school, not just satisfactory.

Sadly not all appeals are successful. Have you considered the 12+? It could be well worth a try, and depending on the format, may not need extra tutoring.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's very unwise for anyone unaware of all the facts of Lise's case to query the panel's judgement ........

My recollection is that, of all the pupils recommended by the school as a "1", not a single child qualified (let alone scored 131+). This would raise some questions in the panel's mind about how much weight might realistically be attached to strong support from the school.

You will remember, Lise, that I put some difficult questions to you in January, probing possible weaknesses in your case.

I'm so very sorry to hear of your disappointment, not least because you have always been so generous in your appreciation of any help.

You have the consolation of knowing that, with the help of this forum (and especially Sally-Anne), you put forward the best case you could have done. You couldn't possibly have done more.

Despite the immediate shock and disappointment, things sometimes work out well in the longer term (ask Sally-Anne! :D). I hope this will be true for your daughter too.

Thinking of you ......
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Lise.

I know exactly how you feel - some of us have been there and it's not nice.

Do send for the clerk's notes - they may give you some insight as to how the panel reached their decision.

Bug hugs to all of you - don't discount the 12+ - it does put a few 'wrongs' right in my experience.
sharone

Post by sharone »

Dear Lise

I'm so sorry to hear your news. We too were unsuccessful, and having read your threads, I really felt that you had a good chance. We got the same letter saying that the panel thought there was insufficient evidence of academic ability, which I'm sure is just a stock phrase.

I hope you and your daughter are feeling better. This whole process has been such a trial and without this forum it would have been so much worse. Please take comfort from knowing that you did everything you could have to support your daughter's case.

I hope that you get the Upper School that you want. Although locally our's has had a bad reputation (and was shut down and reopened as a fresh start), it's most recent Ofsted inspection was glowing. For this reason we are going to wait and see how our son get's on before deciding if we should put him through the 12+. We'd hate to go through all this again.

Our thoughts are with you
Sharon
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now