had appeal today

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dejavu

had appeal today

Post by dejavu »

Have just read LiseCook's and Sharone's posts - so sorry. We might be in same position in the next few days!

Our appeal was this pm and they were only 20 minutes late in starting. It took just over 30 minutes and then a wait of about 10 minutes whilst they looked at the evidence. Our daughter scored 112 and 118 but she was in a high performing year group in a top performing school (which had just had an outstanding Ofsted report).

The Chair was an older lady who was a governor at a secondary school in Oxfordshire (we are in Bucks). Another had had two daughters who had gone through the Bucks education system and had been in our position on the other side of the table, and the third had nothing to do with education but ran a pulp and paper business and admitted he was really pleased about the appeal system as "it was good for business".

Thanks to this appeal forum and "our experts", we were fully prepared for the questions. We obviously had to answer the "why did she do so badly in the first test? Put it down to pressure - she was shaking all the way through it. But also said that a lot of her peers and herself thought that the first paper was easy (must have been some tricky questions).

The only thing that seemed to floor us was that the chair had a bee in her bonnet about all the extra curricular activities she does and would she be able to still do them at grammar school? We said that she has now grown out of a lot of them and are sure that she would be able to prioritise.

At the end, when we said we had the extra evidence, we said that we had copies of details about the school's excellent results over the last few years (way above the Bucks average) and a copy of their latest Ofsted report. Would you like us to include them ? Yes please, We would really like to look at them.

Towards the summing up the Chair stated that it was obvious our daughter was very bright and they had a good picture of her capabilities. So, now waiting for the dreaded letter........ Felt we did all we could.

They did seem to ask a lot of filler questions. Like as she was so young, was she premature ? We answered truthfully that she was not, but still felt that as she had only just turned ten at the time of the exm it could explain why she felt under pressure.

It was good of Etienne and Sally-Anne to tell us to mention the Head's excellent OoS at the beginning. The LEA rep floundered a bit and said that the head had not included any level 3s. But we eventually got him to admit that the head was retty good at a success rate of 70%. This was good as our daughter was ranked ninth and the eight before her passed, as did three below her!
many thanks
dejavu
wraysburymum

your appeal

Post by wraysburymum »

Hi Dejavu

Glad it's all over for you (the appeal at least!). Try and put it to the back of your mind, we tore ourselves to pieces going over everything and wondering if we'd said too much/not enough.. you never know! Their decision is already made and you just need to get through the next few days. I cross my fingers for you and look forward to hearing your good news by Friday.

Best wishes

:)
wraysburymum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

the chair had a bee in her bonnet about all the extra curricular activities she does and would she be able to still do them at grammar school?
I wouldn't attach any importance to this.

At the end, when we said we had the extra evidence, we said that we had copies of details about the school's excellent results over the last few years (way above the Bucks average) and a copy of their latest Ofsted report. Would you like us to include them ? Yes please, We would really like to look at them.
Well done! You could clearly justify the claim that your daughter is doing well at a high performing school. It was also very diplomatic to offer the supporting evidence to the panel, rather than impose it on them.
The LEA rep floundered a bit and said that the head had not included any level 3s. But we eventually got him to admit that the head was pretty good at a success rate of 70%. This was good as our daughter was ranked ninth and the eight before her passed, as did three below her!
One LA rep. floored! :D

Hope you get the result you want ......

Good luck
Etienne
dejavu

Thanks for support

Post by dejavu »

Thanks Wraysbury mum for your support and interest.

Yes, we keep mulling it over and saying "if only we had lied and said she was premature" - but we couldn't, we are not good at lying. We did notice quite a few filler questions, like how do they get on as brothers and sisters. Also, was she nervous the night before ( I thought every child would be). Still nagging me about those questions about "she does seem to have rather a lot of outside interests". You can't win either way.
many thanks
dejavu
wraysburymum

out of school interests..

Post by wraysburymum »

Yes, I hadn't planned to prattle on about extra-curricula stuff but that's the direction our appeal went in. We did have strong figures and support to back us up. I agree with Etienne and Sally-Anne: the appeal should be judged purely on academic evidence and potential, and that is no-doubt what got us through. But when you are facing the firing squad (!) you have to do what you can.
I'm still here on the computer a week after our appeal, silly grin on my face but reading other people's results with a heavy heart. Thank god for the internet, friends at the touch of a button!
wraysburymum
dejavu

Thanks Etienne and Wraysburymum

Post by dejavu »

Hve just read Etienne's response. Thank you so much for letting us know that we did at least a couple of things right! We only thought about including data about our high performing school and the credibility of the head's OoS because of this wonderful forum. Many thanks, whatever the outcome!

And thanks, too, Warysburymum for your 'after sales' service. I too will be continuing to look at the forum once we get 'the letter'. I also thought I would still request details of the appeal which ever way it goes, as it may be useful for other parents in future.
many thanks
dejavu
Lynsey

Post by Lynsey »

Hi, Dejavu,
Just thought I'd add my support...I found the waiting after the appeal the hardest part, which surprised me. After all, there is nothing more you can do. But, like you I was tortured with doubts about whether I could have done better. Well done for getting through today; it sounds as though you did very well, so I hope its successful for you.
dejavu

Thanks for support Lynsey

Post by dejavu »

Thanks for your support. Haven't heard from you for a while on the site - have you only just landed back down to earth? Just looking at your old account of your successful appeal. It certainly brought back memories of our son's appeal two years ago. He got 117 and 120 and won his appeal despite our disastrous presentation! If only we had seen this site earlier. In fact, it is only because of this site that I have learnt to use the computer! And it is only because of this site that we went into the appeal today feeling a lot more confident, knowing that we could back up all of our statements and still manage to get one over on the LEA rep!
many thanks
dejavu
caz34red

Post by caz34red »

Well Done, it really does sound like you worked very hard on your appeal. My DD was successful 2 weeks ago now and I still log on everyday here, it really helped me, it also made me think whatever the outcome was I was not the only one out there, it feels good to have people to share it with, so easy for me to say this as mine was successful, but I mean it, my husband still moans, 'Why are you still going on that website, I feel even though you do not respond to all, you feel for for all.

My heart goes out to all those who did not succeed, especially Lise who really did explain things so well, I am sure this has been a great help to people still waiting for appeals.

Regards
Caz34red
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

caz34red,

I am still here and my child is in Year 9 :lol:

If we can help others that is surely worthwhile -
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now