Experiences of QMGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Midlandsmom

Experiences of QMGS

Post by Midlandsmom »

Hi, so QMGS is our only real option, and luckily we love the school (though it's more of a journey than I would have liked), it would suit my son down to the ground.

His concern, I know, is that he will know no one. Only one other child from primary took the QM exam and scored too low to have a realistic chance. I just wondered from other posters with boys there/people who know other boys who go there - is it the case that most boys come from all over and therefore are mostly in the same boat when it comes to not knowing people? Is the school good at recognising children who come in "alone" and supporting fostering of new friendships? I have to say my child is generally outgoing, friendly and good at making new friends wherever he goes (ie away on holiday, randomly at a park or event) but my only concern would be if lots of other children already have "friends" that they are going to secondary with and are reluctant to make new ones. I know it's silly, and I have already said to him that friendships alter at secondary anyway, even if he went with a lot of other kids from school it's highly likely he'd move away from that group as he mixed with others.

Thoughts??
Green Girl

Re: Experiences of QMGS

Post by Green Girl »

I don't know if it's the case for QMGS but I know that many of the grammar schools deliberately split up people from the same school so the chances are he would be with a whole class of people who didn't know each other meaning that he wouldn't need to break into existing friendship groups.
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

Thank you. I suspect you are right. Our guide at the open event told us he knew no one when he started, and that most boys were in the same situation. I'm just letting anxiety get the better of me ;)
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

I think because they are with their forms so much in a grammar school it's quite an easy environment to make new friends, and as you say your son makes friends easily so I'm sure he'll be absolutely fine. I do get the stress though - it's a big step. Good luck to him.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.rapidonline.com/News/Sky-is- ... upils-3442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the many things you can get involved in at the school.A project my eldest dd got involved in when she joined the sixth form a few years back.This same project is going on strong.

They normally split the children up into different classes when they come in larger groups from the same school.They made an exception in one year when one of my nephews was in the same class as one of his friends who had been moved up a year in his feeder school due to his ability.This was to make it easier for his friend to settle in at the school.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

Thanks q :)
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

I don't think its going to be a issue for your son at all.

The feeling we got as a family when we came to this school twice was that had that togetherness feeling.

Also there must be a lot comaradery because of the cadets.

I used to be in the Air Cadet Core when i was a child and it really does bring different types of people together.

Along with Rugby which is a very social game and Cricket your son will thrive and embrace the whole experience.

FW & Camphill might be the most popular but i still think that this Grammar School is right at the top...

Just work out the travel and go from there.

Ill introduce your boy to mine if your really worried. :D :D

Be Happy Good Times Ahead...
The World is a Drama Staged in a Dream
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

SSINGH77 wrote:I don't think its going to be a issue for your son at all.

The feeling we got as a family when we came to this school twice was that had that togetherness feeling.

Also there must be a lot comaradery because of the cadets.

I used to be in the Air Cadet Core when i was a child and it really does bring different types of people together.

Along with Rugby which is a very social game and Cricket your son will thrive and embrace the whole experience.

FW & Camphill might be the most popular but i still think that this Grammar School is right at the top...

Just work out the travel and go from there.

Ill introduce your boy to mine if your really worried. :D :D

Be Happy Good Times Ahead...
Thanks Mr Singh, we both said after seeing QM, that if it was equidistant (is that even a word?) to any of the others it would go top of the list without a doubt. It was only the travel being longer that pushed it to second place (trying to be sensible!). I'm really pleased it's an option, and definitely believe some things are meant to be. Having just found that the DFE have published 2015 GCSE data early (ie today!) and checked against our 3rd choice (local comp) I'm even more certain it's the right school for my boy. If I panic closer to time I may take you up on your offer! Travel is very much doable, just 40-60 mins on bus versus 30-40 mins walk to comp and to be honest I'll do the school run in the car myself with him as often as possible :)
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

For us it was the closest school apart from Handsworth Grammar..

35 Minutes Green Bus or I can drive through the lanes..

What is the link for GCSE Data Would be interested in looking at that....
The World is a Drama Staged in a Dream
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/performance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you can search by postcode or by school name, it does say 2015 data can't be 100% accurate until normal publication date in Jan or some such, but apparently published early this year to assist parents with making secondary choices. Very little to choose between QMGS & KEFW as well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now