Is 303 set in stone for in-catchment students?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rockerjjt

Is 303 set in stone for in-catchment students?

Post by rockerjjt »

Under what circumstances could the 303 minium score be increased for the 2016 intake of in-catchment students?
pinkrabbit38

Re: Is 303 set in stone for in-catchment students?

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

If more in catchment students than places passed the 11+ then the required score would be more than 303 to gain a place....can't remember this ever happening though.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

pinkrabbit38 wrote:If more in catchment students than places passed the 11+ then the required score would be more than 303 to gain a place....can't remember this ever happening though.
So far, it hasn't happened overall for in-catchment children, but it has certainly been the case for SHSB more than once in the past ten years or so that the 125th IC boy admitted had a score of above 303. If you want 'a grammar school place' rather than a particular school, then naming both Southend and Westcliff should get you a place at one or the other, but if you only want one school, be prepared to find that so do most of the other IC applicants. You could ask at the schools' information afternoons how many IC boys / girls (whichever is relevant to you) passed this year. There are 265 boys' places; SHSG offers a maximum of 135 places IC and WHSG somewhere above 115 (I don't know how they allocate the extra 30 if they are offering 184 total again this year).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Moatmum

Post by Moatmum »

Hopefully the head teachers will divulge the vital information next week at the enquiry meetings as they have done the past couple of years.
neveragainmum

Post by neveragainmum »

Does anyone know if there isn't enough 303 and above in catchment do they then allocate more to out of catchment above this score?
neveragainmum

Post by neveragainmum »

If there isn't enough in catchment with 303 score and above, do they then allocate more places to out of catchment?

Sorry posted twice by accident!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

neveragainmum wrote:If there isn't enough in catchment with 303 score and above, do they then allocate more places to out of catchment?

Sorry posted twice by accident!
For the Southend and Westcliff grammars, yes - the number of places allocated to IC applicants is a maximum figure, so for example if 160 IC boys put SHSB as first preference, 10 will be disappointed, but if only 140 want a place, then the remaining 10 places would be offered to OOC

It is all clearly detailed in the Southend secondary admissions booklet on the authority's website.

(The admissions system for the Southend schools is in contrast to the Chelmsford grammars, which allocate the first 80% to IC applicants in score order, then the remaining 20% in score order regardless of place of residence).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
neveragainmum

Post by neveragainmum »

Thanks ToadMum, my son scored 318 ooc not great I know but still proud as we concentrated on cem for other regions. He scored low on english but really high 51/60 in maths. The english format really didnt suit him as he was use to multiple choice and of course creative writing which we didn't even touch on. Other ooc boys have scored really much higher from reading posts so no excuse I suppose. I phoned csse and they advised to still put on caf but im not sure if he stands even a remote chance for southend schools, any one can further advise here?

Also which of the two schools westcliffe/southend is easiest to get to by contract bus or train from redbridge. I have trawled previous posts concerning travel from redbridge. Im not from redbridge but can get there in say 10mins. Just keeping options open, as they are all diminishing fast. Still waiting for Latymer and IC really dont think they are going to be good news either.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SHSB is easier to get to by train - about 10 - 15 minutes from Prittlewell station on the Southend Victoria line vs about twice that and an uphill walk to boot to WHSB from Chalkwell on the c2c line. Some pupils walk to SHSB from Westcliff station (c2c), but it is a bit of a traipse. Some also walk from Southend Central, also a long walk but at least from there you can get a bus instead if you want to.

For Westcliff you can also get the Southend Vic line to Rayleigh then a bus to Bridgwater Drive, about 10 minutes' walk to the school.

Maymist serves the Southend schools, so I assume Westcliff as well, but I have no idea where it comes from. I also see Crest and SBC(? - the yellow ones, anyway) outside WHSB / Tommy More's.
neveragainmum

Post by neveragainmum »

Thanks ToadMum so doable if lucky to get in.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now