School Allocation Order

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
celticmama

School Allocation Order

Post by celticmama »

Borlase v's Wycombe High application. My daughter just passed her transfer test - plan was for her to go to Borlase with her older sibling (we are also in catchment for Borlase). However she now wants to go to Wycombe High ( we are not in catchment and live in Maidenhead just over 6 miles away as the crow flies) If I request Wycombe as first choice and she doesn't get a space - does that jeopardise a space at Borlase where we are more likely to get in?
maxtom

Re: School Allocation Order

Post by maxtom »

No, you should put schools in your preferred order. The schools do not know where you have placed them but will just get a list of everyone who has put that school somewhere on their application form. They then have to rank all applicants in the order in which they meet the admissions criteria. The local authority takes those rankings and uses them to allocate school places. If you are not ranked high enough to get your 1st place school, they will then see where you are ranked for your second choice school. If you meet the criteria for your second choice you will get a place ahead of, say, a child who put that school first but lives further away. I think you will also automatically go on the relevant waiting lists if you don't get your first choice of school.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

As maxtom says, you must put the schools in your real order of preference. At only 6 miles away there is every chance of WHS.

maxtom, just to let you know, in Bucks the entire process is conducted by the Admissions team at the County Council - the schools have no involvement in allocations. Also, you have to actively ask to be put on waiting lists. Otherwise all the information you give is perfectly correct.
celticmama

Post by celticmama »

Thank you both for your advice - very reassuring to hear.