Travel to Tonbridge on train from Redhill

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JLC

Travel to Tonbridge on train from Redhill

Post by JLC »

Is anyone familiar with this line? Does anyone do this journey? We are in Reigate and we are wondering whether it is feasible to consider TOGS for our DD?
I would really appreciate any advice. We have heard of girls/boys doing this journey in the past but wondered if there is anyone currently getting onto that Redhill train, even if further down the line, Godstone, Edenbridge etc?
Is it reliable? How do they find it?
All advice gratefully received. Many thanks
Jannaj

Re: Travel to Tonbridge on train from Redhill

Post by Jannaj »

I commute the other way, from Tonbridge to East Croydon and the journey is fine. Quite a few children get off at Tonbridge on the incoming train but obviously I don't know how many are getting on at Edenbridge, Godstone, Leigh etc.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

DS has friends who come in on that line. One from Nutfield and I think that the other is Edenbridge. No idea how smooth their journey is. I have heard of a TOGs girl coming in from Redhill a few years ago although I understand that she no longer goes to TOGs ( not due to travel difficulties though).
JLC

Post by JLC »

Thank you for the tips.

The other stops along the line from Redhill are Nutfield, Godstone, Edenbridge, Penshurst, Leigh and then Tonbridge.

Any advice about what this route might be like for a year 7 girl would be very welcome. Are there TOGS girls already using this line? Maybe they get on further along?

Many thanks again
cassandre

Post by cassandre »

DS gets off at either Edenbridge (along with about 30 other kids from a mixture of Tonbridge schools) or Godstone (along with about 15 other kids from a mixture of Tonbridge schools)

He thinks there's about 10-15 still left on the train (this includes 6th formers)

It's a good service, but he's only Year 8 so we didn't experience a bad winter last year, nor did we experience the floods the year before.

Hope this helps.

Obviously, if your child intends to do after school clubs there are fewer children commuters.
JLC

Post by JLC »

Thank you Cassandre. This is really helpful and reassuring. It is what I imagined that there would be lots of children, girls and boys, heading into school in Tonbridge but having never known any who have done it...

Does your DS go in to Tonbridge on the train in the morning also? What time train does he get? I am assuming all the school children will be on the &.30 am from Redhill?

And returning on the 16.19 from Tonbridge?

Does anyone take this route to TOGGS?
JustBe

Post by JustBe »

It is a reliable service. Occasionally, particularly in bad weather, the service is delayed. When that happens everyone gets the next train and all are late together.
cassandre

Post by cassandre »

JLC : DS gets the 7.45am from Edenbridge to Tonbridge (later on a Monday as registration isn't until 10.10am)

Coming home, when not doing after school clubs, he gets the 16.19pm

It might be worth you doing the 16.19pm journey from Tonbridge along the line one day just to see for yourself how many children get off and how many stay on.

From Godstone I cannot really comment as Godstone is sometimes our furthest stop.

It would put your mind at rest :)
JustBe

Post by JustBe »

DC take that service to Tonbridge from every stop along the line - even before Redhill. It gets packed and it's great because they have school friends and train friends. There will be new children taking that service in September too. At TGS they group the girls in form classes based on their travel to and from school. Your DC would be in the same form class, I expect, as others taking that train. There will be new Yr 7 commuters from September.
JLC

Post by JLC »

Thank you for your comments and time. I'm going to try the train journey this week but am already feeling reassured. Many thanks again.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now