Is there a Scam going on for Birmingham grammar schools ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ABJ

Is there a Scam going on for Birmingham grammar schools ?

Post by ABJ »

Hi,

I have been told by the owner of one of the big tuition centre ( can't write the name) that every year they manage to get 2-3 students in the grammar school irrespective of their capabilities.
He didn't give me any details but all he said there is lot more behind the curtains going on when allocating the schools/sending the results.
By his tone and the words he chose what I gather that there is lot of money as a bribe being paid internally by some tuition centres.
Also a similar thing was told by couple of parents too.
Don't know how much truth is in it .
If this is true then it is very shocking !!!!
And needs a full investigation because we never know what is going on and after few years time all the truth will come out as always any cases related to anything which happened decades ago we hear all of it now .

If anyone else has heard similar thing going around ??

Considering this is Birmingham I won't be surprised if this
is true .
Sally-Anne

Re: Is there a Scam going on for Birmingham grammar schools

Post by Sally-Anne »

Nothing like a good conspiracy theory, is there?

So, who are these back-handers being paid to? The Admissions team at Birmingham City Council? The staff at the Foundation Office? The Heads of the Grammar Schools? Are they all in on it, every one of them complicit to the last, all feathering their nests, and not a whistle-blower among them?

Do you not think that, even if there were a single grain of truth in this, one of those many people would have noticed?

:roll:
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

Sally-Anne wrote:Nothing like a good conspiracy theory, is there?

So, who are these back-handers being paid to? The Admissions team at Birmingham City Council? The staff at the Foundation Office? The Heads of the Grammar Schools? Are they all in on it, every one of them complicit to the last, all feathering their nests, and not a whistle-blower among them?

Do you not think that, even if there were a single grain of truth in this, one of those many people would have noticed?

:roll:
I hope this is just a conspiracy theory but you never know !!!
There has been lot of big scams happened in this country in the big organisations in the past and they only came to limelight after good 20-30 years.
You really don't need grammar heads or foundation office because there job is to just conduct the test and send the report .
It's up to the local authority then allocate the seats and the foundation office or head doesn't know which child is getting or which one not.

I am not saying this is truth but this can be done...
Lots goes in Birmingham city council !!
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

Hmmmm very interesting! Why would the owner of a tuition centre tell you this? Lol, were you being enticed? All I can say is that it seems highly unlikely .... but then again, this 11+ has become a very lucrative business and I do feel where there is a will there is a way.

But as previous poster stated, too many people involved. FO, council and schools. Somebody would notice an anomaly..... Unless the results are tampered with at the very outset??? Or maybe someone is involved at the CEM marking office?

Loving this conspiracy!!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ABJ wrote:You really don't need grammar heads or foundation office because there job is to just conduct the test and send the report .
Ah, but they could all be fiddling the scores ... :roll:

I think you need to look at what the tutor's motivation for saying this might be?

And as it appears to be a tutoring company whose name is blocked by our forum software, why that might be as well?

(x-post with Thumbsup)
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Hi ABJ

Have you reported this conversation to the Foundation Office and to Birmingham City Council? If true it should be investigated. And even if not true it should be looked into to sustain confidence in the system.

Have to say I agree with others though - it seems very unlikely. Perhaps the schools would notice if children arrived who were very obviously not capable of keeping up, don't you think?
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

Thumbsup wrote:Hmmmm very interesting! Why would the owner of a tuition centre tell you this? Lol, were you being enticed? All I can say is that it seems highly unlikely .... but then again, this 11+ has become a very lucrative business and I do feel where there is a will there is a way.

But as previous poster stated, too many people involved. FO, council and schools. Somebody would notice an anomaly..... Unless the results are tampered with at the very outset??? Or maybe someone is involved at the CEM marking office?

Loving this conspiracy!!!
It was an informal chat with him as his information was passed to me by some other parent.
He sounded very confident and as I said the words he chose were also indirectly saying there is a lot of things goes on and it's not done on a major scale but to do 2-3 % of total entrants.
As you say this is a very lucrative business so wherever there is mega bucks involved people's greed leads to scams.
This tuition business have invested around 3 million and they just manage to get another site to open a new one where the investment is of £5 millions.
So you can see the amount of money floating in the business .
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

Turtlegirl wrote:Hi ABJ

Have you reported this conversation to the Foundation Office and to Birmingham City Council? If true it should be investigated. And even if not true it should be looked into to sustain confidence in the system.

Have to say I agree with others though - it seems very unlikely. Perhaps the schools would notice if children arrived who were very obviously not capable of keeping up, don't you think?
I am thinking of reporting it ( not sure if they will do anything ).
I don't think schools can find out as this might be done with the kids who just missed the place.
Also I have seen the kids who passed the exam for grammar but find it hard to cope with the pace and content of the schools.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

ABJ...think of it like this:

If the owner of a tutor centre starts a rumour of this kind with 10 people, the chances are they will go and tell 5 people each - that's 50 people who start to think that the tuition centres "might" give their child an advantage...those 50 tell 5 people each - the thought of an advantage spreads....

The result? The tuition centre gets 250 children clamouring for a place at the tuition centre because, unlike you, there are parents out there who will seek any slight advantage for their child, legal or not....

I suspect the tuition centre owner you spoke to was one known pretty well to this forum....and I would take what you were told by him with a pinch of salt...If it's him, the last time he was in court, the judge told the world that he was obviously only motivated by money....(mind you, according to what he told you, he does have a £5 million tuition centre to pay for...!!)
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

kenyancowgirl wrote:ABJ...think of it like this:

If the owner of a tutor centre starts a rumour of this kind with 10 people, the chances are they will go and tell 5 people each - that's 50 people who start to think that the tuition centres "might" give their child an advantage...those 50 tell 5 people each - the thought of an advantage spreads....

The result? The tuition centre gets 250 children clamouring for a place at the tuition centre because, unlike you, there are parents out there who will seek any slight advantage for their child, legal or not....

I suspect the tuition centre owner you spoke to was one known pretty well to this forum....and I would take what you were told by him with a pinch of salt...If it's him, the last time he was in court, the judge told the world that he was obviously only motivated by money....(mind you, according to what he told you, he does have a £5 million tuition centre to pay for...!!)
I agree to what you are saying and taking it with a pinch of salt but at the same time I guess we will be bit ignorant to think that it is not possible and not going around.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now