Torquay guidance letter

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Petunia

Torquay guidance letter

Post by Petunia »

My understanding is that the guidance letter will simply state 'yes' your child is considered suitable for grammar school or 'no' they are not. Is any other information included? Will they indicate if a child is borderline? It seems tough to have to make decisions for the CAF without even a score or a rank to go on.
equilibro

Re: Torquay guidance letter

Post by equilibro »

The letter from last year for my DC, which you will understand I treasure, says "Yes" individually for each of the three schools, Torquay, Churston Ferrers and the selective stream at Westland's, stressing that the information is for guidance only. "Happily", I'm afraid I don't know what would be said in the letter if the answer were not "Yes" for any or all of these schools.

The tactics for completing the CAF have been well aired here in the past, and I recommend that you do a search and read.
Petunia

Post by Petunia »

Thanks for your reply.

I have read a lot of posts in the Devon section, but I'm still unsure exactly what a 'yes' means. I know it's not a guarantee of a place, but how many 'yes' letters are sent out in relation to the number of places available? We've got to move house in the next couple of months, so (if we get a 'yes') I'm trying to work out whether we can assume we should move into the Torquay area.
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

TBGS or TGGS, and 9/16 or 9/17 intake?
Petunia

Post by Petunia »

TGGS for 2016
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

The TGGS guidance letters are due to be sent out on Friday 16 October 2015, and you should therefore receive yours on Saturday 17 October, although I know of at least one case last year where the letter sent on the equivalent Friday did not actually arrive until the Monday, albeit in a fairly isolated Dartmoor location. I recommend that you do nothing until the receipt of the letter.

If you then have a "Yes" for one or more acceptable school, my earlier CAF search and read (site-wide not just Devon) recommendation applies. NB There are still no guarantees and I know of one Torquay case in recent years where the DC concerned had a three "Yes" letter but was subsequently not offered a place at the CAF first choice GS, although the happy ending was that they did get the place on appeal.

Clearly, if you receive a nil "Yes" letter you will have to consider your position very carefully, and I can only recommend that you take expert advice, which I'm not qualified to give you.

Good luck.
SoftKitty

Post by SoftKitty »

Has anyone received their TGGS letter? Ours did not come in the post as expected yesterday so we're obviously hoping to receive it tomorrow.
Petunia

Post by Petunia »

Hello again SoftKitty!

Yes, we had ours yesterday. 'Yes' for all three schools. So now we're deciding between Colyton and TGGS. Are you in the same position?
SoftKitty

Post by SoftKitty »

Hi again Petunia.

I think that TGGS had gone down in the list of favourites. My daughter is not too keen on the idea of an all girls school. Colyton will definitely be our first choice given the recent email, but Churston may be 2nd (depending on results which we'll hopefully get tomorrow). I know on Churston is not as good as TGGS, but I get where she's coming from with regards to being at an all girls school.

Congratulations on fantastic results you must be so proud (rightly so :D )
aenikata

Post by aenikata »

My daughter got a Yes No Yes letter, the No being for Churston. I'm obviously keen to know whether anyone received a Borderzone indication, because I'm not sure whether that leaves her in it or not?