Unexpected low score Birmingham Results Oct 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BKK13

Unexpected low score Birmingham Results Oct 2015

Post by BKK13 »

Hi

I am new to the forum. I have never posted anything before but have been a visiting guest for the last two months .
My DD had an unexpectedly low score in the Birmingham results. Her predicted score was around 218 but the actual result is significantly lower . It has come as a complete surprise considering her practice test scores etc. I appreciate nerves may have got the better of her or she may have missed sections although she is adamant she ran out of time at the end - 5 questions.
I wondered if I could seek some more information about the result and if there is any benefit in going for KEHS although fee paying would not be affordable at all.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks
OldTrout

Re: Unexpected low score Birmingham Results Oct 2015

Post by OldTrout »

Hi BKK

Just saw your post and really sympathise. I know that when my eldest (little fish) failed to make the cut off score in 2013 we were all very disappointed as a family. But...sometimes it honestly just isn't their day. Remember it is a very daunting environment on test day - hundreds of kids and even more anxious parents - nerves and time pressure can play a huge part in this.

The hardest bit was watching her friendship group dissolve as her close primary friends (all heavily tutored - mix of DIY and private tutors) all got in. But...and I do sincerely believe this and have repeatedly posted on this here ... Preparing for the 11+ paid dividends - great ks2 SATs results, high scores on in-school CAT testing at her secondary comprehensive on moving up day/ first weeks y7 and for little fish she sort of internalised the message you have to be prepared and is applying that to secondary school because she's determined to get into a king Edwards for sixth form.

This kind of thing - near miss or unexpectedly not doing well can seem awful at the time but genuinely have seen it with friends children and my little fish and they go on to absolutely shine at their state comp. one was at a school in special measures now an academy and ended up getting a* and a at GCSEs and has transferred to KEFW for sixth form. She says the teachers at her school gave her extra work, helped her after school and at breaks and were incredibly supportive - this was a school were well less than 40% achieve 5 GCSEs a-c. So I think you need to look at your state options - if they're reasonable don't despair just aim for top set.

We also felt we couldn't afford KEGS fees so didn't opt for the private route but hopefully someone who has gone that path can give you more info.

I hope that helps
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

Sorry to hear that your dc score wasn't what you expected.it is very heartbreaking for the whole family and I can understand please accept my sympathy but saying that don't think eleven plus is the end of the tunnel there are many good options on which you can decide.
Also getting into grammar school is no guarantee for a successful career or life,I know personally few grammar pass out doing a mediocre job and many comp school pass outs who are doing exceptionally well in their life.

The main point is we want to give our dc best so they can succeed in life and in doing that sometimes we come under peer pressure of grammar schools/ independent schools.
Now regarding independent kehs there is no harm in trying and giving the exams but you can imagine what sort of competition will be for the assisted places as all those who just missed out and also the poshes/riches will fight for it.
If you can't afford full fee ( like us) would you like yourself and your Dc to go through the disappointments again ?

There are really 3-4 good comps schools and a bright hardworking child will excel in those Infact I compared the work of kech and of an excellent comp ( top sats) the work was no different .
Depending on the area you live in ,I or may be others on this forum can suggest you good comps .

Good luck !!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

BKK13 wrote:Hi

I am new to the forum. I have never posted anything before but have been a visiting guest for the last two months .
My DD had an unexpectedly low score in the Birmingham results. Her predicted score was around 218 but the actual result is significantly lower . It has come as a complete surprise considering her practice test scores etc. I appreciate nerves may have got the better of her or she may have missed sections although she is adamant she ran out of time at the end - 5 questions.
I wondered if I could seek some more information about the result and if there is any benefit in going for KEHS although fee paying would not be affordable at all.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks
the only way you will find out about KEHS is by taking the exam and seeing what happens - -there is funding for those who do well in the exam and can't afford the fees, not as much funding as there used to and less than the boys school but it is still there.

In 1979 80% were on free or assisted places, now it is 20%
BKK13

Post by BKK13 »

Dear All

Really grateful for the replies. I always thought I would easily accept defeat but when it actually happens it is a shock especially as the practice papers were scoring so well and she did work really hard. Since the results came on Friday trying to get to the bottom of it has become an unhealthy obsession!
We will consider KEHS although not fully decided on it yet as fee paying will never be an option unless there is a lottery win!
However, all the prep for the 11 plus has benefitted DD without a doubt and we do live in a catchment area for excellent schools - Streetly.

Our feeder school is Streetly Academy although at the moment we are leaning towards Barr Beacon. They are both more or less the same distance from our home. Any opinions from anyone on each school? Barr Beacon seem to have more variety in terms of subjects and extra curricular activities and the head seems very good too.

Any views would be very much appreciated.
Many Thanks
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

barr beacon

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/sch ... urn=136885" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

streetly

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/sch ... urn=137707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both above average. My reading of the stats favours Streetly
BKK13

Post by BKK13 »

Thank you Petit Pois. Please forgive my ignorance but which figures indicate that? Am I to look at year on results or provisional KS2 for this year? Sorry! Thank you for posting both links.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

It comes down to what you choose to focus in on the stats. I always look at the following

% of medium and high achievers getting 5 GCSEs
% making progress in English
% Making progress in English
Looking at whether last two years results is the same. On Barr Beacon it come down a lot, then bounced back a bit. I prefer consistency here rather than necessarily higher %
I think it it also worth looking at the % not English as a first language also

Some schools consider stretch and challenge as putting a bright kid on the same table as two kids that are struggling and leaving the brighter kid to try and teach the strugglers, but you will never see stuff like that in the stats.

If you can find it out look for how much the school spends on Supply teachers, IMHO a good indicator of a failing head.

Look at the KS2 against previous years and the % of English Bacc.

An average Grammar will have figures like 90 and 54%, see Handsworth grammar. The better grammars will have 100/90 and as you can see the comp's here are roughly 70/30
BKK13

Post by BKK13 »

That's very helpful. I will analyse all this later. Grateful for the experienced guidance from you.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

We went to see Barr beacon and is our first choice comp. loved the staff who were all very young and passionate about what they taught. Head was very firm and treated the school like a school. The exam results seem good ( on a par with handsworth grammar if you Compare the high achievers ). It also has an outstanding ofsted report. We never visited streetly as that is just a little too far away. Have you also considered perry beeches? We liked it but for personal reasons it wasn't right for us.
My only concern for Barr beacon is the the head is rumoured to be retiring next year so not sure what will happen after that but we had decided to not place handsworth grammar on our list as we preferred Barr beacon.