Educational Psycologist

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
freddie

Educational Psycologist

Post by freddie »

Any advice on how one finds one of these in the Aylesbury area ? How do they assess a child ? Have parents found the results useful, not just for appeal purposes but generally ?

Any advice gratefully received.
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi Freddie

Your council in Aylesbury has an Educational Psychology dept
and can be reached on 01296 382697

You may find that you will get more information/responses to your question on the special needs bit of this website, instead of the appeal section...

Hope this helps..

Cindy
freddie

Post by freddie »

Thanks Cindy for the phone number.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

As a caveat, we were once given a private Ed Psych report as part of an appeal. We read it carefully.

The parents based their appeal around it. Unfortunately, the report said the child was normal and of average intelligence, with an IQ of 100 or thereabouts. There were no mitigating circumstances.

Not surprisingly, we turned down the appeal.

I'd also be cautious if I was presented with extracts of a report, and wonder what had been left out.

If, however, it said the child was really bright, that would be useful.
Capers
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Freddie

You can search for Ed Psychs in your area here:

http://www.bps.org.uk/bps/e-services/fi ... index$.cfm

I have never heard of a parent who did not find a report useful in understanding their child's abilities better.

On the other hand it is important to remember that we all have strengths and weaknesses, and it is too easy to end up labelling a child or making excuses for them as a result of an Ed Psych diagnosis.

By all means do it, but don't allow the report to become your bible.

Sally-Anne
Jess

Post by Jess »

Hi Freddie
We had an ed psych report done for our daughter some time ago (not for an appeal, more to help us and her school get a clear picture of her abilities) and have found it extremely useful. You can PM me if you like and I'll be happy to give you more details

Jess
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I should have said that I'd love to see reports for my children, just to see if our conclusions matches the psychologists.

What I was trying to say was if you find it doesn't support your case for an appeal, don't submit it!
Capers