New to the forum

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Beyond.beyond

New to the forum

Post by Beyond.beyond »

A friend suggested this forum. I have to be honest, I was least interested in my sons grammar school exam. The result came and he got 219. Since I did no homework regarding schools, I am at loss. We live in Solihull. One of the choice would be our local school anyway. I do not know about others. Should I forget about camp hill considering their cut off marks last year. I just went to five ways but it is far away. I liked it though. Serves me right for taking no interest in visiting school.

Sorry for rambling. Imagine having zero interest to make five choices in next ten days :shock:

Thanks for reading.
Petitpois

Re: New to the forum

Post by Petitpois »

This one is beyond me.

CHB is not an option. May be BV or KEA?
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

Hi and welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of advice on here but I truely feel that you need to go and visit a school to make a decision. Could you phone a few up and ask for a last minute visit? Bishop vesey are having open mornings this week , I'm not sure about others. Do you qualify for pupil premium? That will make a difference to entrance scores.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think you are going to have to do some visiting!

Which is your catchment school - are you happy with that one?

The way the CAF works is that you can put GS down and if you are not eligible you will be considered for schools further down the list.
Beyond.beyond

Post by Beyond.beyond »

So sorry but what is GS?

Also, what is pupil premium?

Please ignore my ignorance. I am so nervous anyway
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

Beyond.beyond wrote:So sorry but what is GS?

Also, what is pupil premium?

Please ignore my ignorance. I am so nervous anyway
GS is grammar school. You get pupil premium if you have been entitled to free school meals at any point over the last 6 years. There are different cut offs for children who are entitled to pupil premium at many of the grammar schools in Birmingham. Are you also interested in Warwickshire schools? I'm not sure how it works as I live in north Birmingham but is this an option too? Not sure if you have to have already agreed to share your school to be able to apply?
Beyond.beyond

Post by Beyond.beyond »

Thank you. No, we are not entitled to any benefits.

Warwickshire is an option but I would stick to Bgham ones. Thank you all for the replying. I am truly grateful
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

In that case five ways and camp hill is very unlikely looking at last years score. If you have space put them on your caf form ( see separate thread for important information on filling in your form and listing preferences) if you really want them. Realistically in Birmingham your options are Aston, bishop vesey and hands worth. All of which are within your score. You just need to visit them to see whether they are right for you.
We preferred bishop vesey as my son is very sporty and felt the extra curriculum activities suited him better. I did like the feel of Aston though and it may be right for you. I think you need to also look at transport and how your son will get there. Don't forget next week is half term so ideally you need to be looking Asap.