What to watch ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

roselyn

What to watch ?

Post by roselyn »

I am looking for suggestions/ recommendations for Channel & TV programmes to watch with children (5, 10 years old) around 6 - 8 pm in the evening…
The children feel bored at times watching cartoons …

Just to give an idea on what kind of shows I am looking for…
The elder one likes space related things, investigations, talent and cookery shows (!) and the little one like animals..

Ps : We have virgin media connection, I dont mind paying for the channel.

Thank you.
JaneEyre

Re: What to watch ?

Post by JaneEyre »

roselyn wrote: The elder one likes space related things, investigations, talent and cookery shows (!) and the little one like animals..
I do not know what is on between 6 and 8 p.m., but reading the taste of your children, a safe bet could be DVDs by David Attenborough and to target specifically your DS and his interest in space, DVDs by Brian Cox.
But this is not about programmes running at the moment… so maybe I am not answering your question.

Another hit in our home is the DVD Genius of Britain...
There are indeed loads and LOADS of wonderful DVDs! I like them better than programmes on TV as you can choose what s appropriate for your DC and are also the master of the length of time spent in front of the TV. No slavery to the small screen! :wink:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Have you tried Prehistoric Park?
llol39

Post by llol39 »

Absolute Genius on CBBC channel is loved here by my 9 yr old boy and 13 yr old girl.
roselyn

Post by roselyn »

Many thanks JaneEyre, Yamin151 & llol39.

I never thought about DVDs...Got David Attenborough's DVD for now - children are hooked into it :-)
Many thanks for the suggestion :-)

will look into the options of prehistoric park and CBBC 's Absolute Genius.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

roselyn wrote:Got David Attenborough's DVD for now - children are hooked into it :-)
I am not all all surprised! :D Not only are the films breathtaking but Sir Attenborough's use of the English language is magnificent! :D A few years ago, I used to take notes of his choice of words and phrases while DS was watching the films! :lol: :lol:

Another excellent idea is to buy the film version of the books your DC read. .. and they watch it only once they have finished the book... If yourself know both of them (the book and the film), you can have a little chat about the differences and the choices made by the film director.

Here are a few examples of films (but they are soooooOOOOOO numerous that I can not write them all! :wink: ): Danny, the champion of the world (beautiful and funny story), The railway Children, A series of unfortunate events (is the film a bit scary?? I have never watched it but I have read several of the books when DS was small. They are funny and include an interesting way to introduce some tricky words), Oliver Twist, Little Lord Fauntleroy ( :D ), Anne of Green Gables (my heart makes boom boom! :lol: :lol: )...

And later on, you will go on with your DC onto the classics (The BBC films are usually excellent): Jane Eyre (several versions to chose from , my favourite is the one with Timothy Dalton), Pride and Prejudice (the one with Colin Firth is wonderful!), North and South ( beautiful film with Daniela Denby-Ashe and Richard Armitage though some liberties have been taken with the novel :( ), etc...

enjoy!!! :D :D :D
roselyn

Post by roselyn »

Many thanks again, JaneEyre

Got another DVD - Frozen Planet (as myself always curious to know about the life of the living beings in the extreme parts of the world :-)
As you mentioned, Sir Attenborough's voice is unique and the language is wonderful :-) Its hard to stop watching them :-)

Elder DD read some of the stories you had suggested...and watched movies of few...
will keep a note of your other recommendations ... :-)

Thank you.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Rather than paying for extra channels we have a tivo box and I used to record things on CBBC that we could watch when we wanted - they really liked Horrible Histories and Steve Backshall's Deadly 60.Not sure what is popular now as they have moved on from CBBC. DSstill likes anything with Bear Ghrylls being adventurous and Myth Busters - testing out science myths.
justanothermother

Post by justanothermother »

You could also record Sky at Night. It's only once a month and the broadcasting times vary, so you will have to check on their website.
We've got quite a few stored on the HD and my DS frequently chooses to watch them if there is nothing of interest on TV.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

DC17C wrote:they really liked Horrible Histories and Steve Backshall's Deadly 60.
Oh yes! DS used to love both of these too! :D
Initially, Horrible Histories appeared to me to a bit too eccentric, but I reckon that children (and adults!) learn an awful lot thanks to them! Here are some example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UueAyDBCnig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDqnbYVtO9E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roselyn, during half term, I will try to contact you by p.m. to chat about books and films as I am fully aware that the films I have mentioned for teenagers are rather on the girlie side of the fence… :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now