Buckinghamshire Appeal ? - 2015

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PrincessPrabz

Buckinghamshire Appeal ? - 2015

Post by PrincessPrabz »

Hi All,

I have a dilemma. My DS had his heart set on Burnham Grammar School but only scored 120 (one mark out). On paper we are OOC because our address comes under Berkshire but in reality we are so close distance wise (5 minute drive if that). I was wondering if you think I could appeal/review? How should I go about it they could be shown his current school achievements if need be he is top set in all subjects and his overall levels have consistently been above average. He and I are both really upset at the moment by just missing out, please can I get some advice?

Should I still put BGS as my first choice on the CAF?

Thanks for your help!
hermanmunster

Re: Buckinghamshire Appeal ? - 2015

Post by hermanmunster »

I think you have already had some advice on the other thread, here is a link to all the appeal advice http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you need to look at "general" and "non qualification"

you can put the school you want first and when you are declined a place in March you can then appeal
PrincessPrabz

Post by PrincessPrabz »

Hello I have a question regarding Buckinghamshire review/appeals that I seem to be getting different answers to in real life so thought someone on the forum could help!

Someone told me today that if you do a review and it is for whatever reason unsuccessful that you can not appeal later on should you not get a placement.

Is that true?

Thanks!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can appeal but you have to prove that the review was not FCO ie fair, consistent and objective - read some of last year's posts to see the issues.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

PrincessPrabz wrote:Hello I have a question regarding Buckinghamshire review/appeals that I seem to be getting different answers to in real life so thought someone on the forum could help!

Someone told me today that if you do a review and it is for whatever reason unsuccessful that you can not appeal later on should you not get a placement.

Is that true?

Thanks!
Have you not followed the links in Sally-Anne's post?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=44245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • Hope you won't need our help, but we will be available if you should need assistance with reviews/appeals.
      Please do some reading first of all, before asking questions on the forum.
      Start here.

See also this thread.
Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
PrincessPrabz

Post by PrincessPrabz »

Hello Etienne,

Thank you yes I have read through a lot of information on here and through most of the appeals/review information but I do not see an answer for my question. Can you kindly confirm you can still appeal if you have an unsuccessful review?

Thanks,
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have answered your question in my post above Etienne's.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You can appeal but you have to prove that the review was not FCO ie fair, consistent and objective - read some of last year's posts to see the issues.
scary mum
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

As someone who chose not to appeal when my daughter failed her 11+ (she was set on AHS) I would suggest that you have a go at appealing for you son, especially as he is so close on his score. I found that my Dd just didn't settle at the comp partly because she was so determined that she was GS material and knew that the system had let her down badly. She went through a really bad year because I chose to trust the 11 plus results and sent her to the comp. She found that she was much more able and motivated than pretty much all the other students and was ostracised for wanting to work (I am not suggesting that all schools will be like this or all years, I think she had a bad class). She took her 12+ in the end and failed that too! I did appeal the 12+ and she gained a place on her outstanding levels and CAT scores which was unanimously agreed by the appeal panel. She just got really stressed in the tests because it was so important to her.
She is now really happy and contented at the GS, is doing really well, no problems fitting in either academically or socially.

Go for it, but my advice would be to appeal rather than review if you can do that.
Moderators

Post by Moderators »

PrincessPrabz wrote:I have read through a lot of information on here and through most of the appeals/review information but I do not see an answer for my question. Can you kindly confirm you can still appeal if you have an unsuccessful review?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • (2)
      Review or Appeal?
      (i) Parents can opt for a review or for an appeal
      - or for both (but an unsuccessful review could have serious implications for any subsequent appeal because the Appeals Code states that, provided the review was ‘fair, consistent and objective’, no other issues can be considered at appeal).
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=41358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • How to appeal for a Bucks GS place ........
      SECTION D: Your child has NOT qualified, and has had an UNSUCCESSFUL Selection Review
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now