Current KEGS boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SlighlyStressedMum

Current KEGS boys

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Hi. Are there any parents on here who currently have a boy at KEGS? I have filled the school application in with Kegs as first choice and my son 100% wants to go there. But I am starting to feel a little nervous. Could anyone tell me what the amount of homework is like, what the academic pressure is like (or if there is any), and how your boys have found the move from a State Primary to the Grammar School? Thanks x
KB

Re: Current KEGS boys

Post by KB »

We are familiar with CRGS rather than KEGS but if you look back over past threads there are plenty of comments about the merits of KEGS.

I think many parents have similar thoughts to your own and not just those going to GS but more generally when moving from primary to secondary school.

The vast majority of secondary schools support Year 7s in the transition very well and while most children take time to adjust there are few who really struggle to settle.

If your DS has got a high enough mark in the test without undue coaching ( most boys will have been tutored to reach their potential but that's not the same as having been hot housed) then there is no reason why he wouldn't thrive at KEGS.

The opposite danger is for academically bright children to get bored at a school where they are not challenged. While some comprehensive schools provide well for the more academic pupils, sadly some do not.

As parents we seem to be programmed to want to protect our children and it is tempting to make things easy for them but we also need to allow them to face and rise to challenges. This may be one of those times. ( Apology for any note of criticism rather than the encouragement intended - I speak as a parent who errs on the side of overprotection myself!)
local_lass

Post by local_lass »

Can only speak for Year 7 but so far, so good. My son is far from a geek and got a marginal 11+ score for KEGS. Very little homework (that he is admitting to anyway!) and what he has is not taking him long - he certainly isn't doing it every night either. There hasn't been the massive step-up from primary we'd expected. He has mentioned tests in various subjects but these don't seem to have been very difficult and he's been quite clear over what he need to learn for them. The only issues we've really had are silly things like leaving shoes/clothes/pencil cases in places they shouldn't have been left and learning the processes to retrieve them and then not to do it again!
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Thank you. My son is probably what you might describe as a 'geek' and no he wasn't hot housed, he did the Explore Learning grp tuition (1 hr a wk during yr 5) and nothing more and got a good score.
I'm not worried about him trying to keep up. Actually I'm not sure why I am worried. I guess it's all alien to me, there are no selective grammars where I grew up and it's all unfamiliar to me whereas he is taking it in his stride!

Thank you for your replies x
Flossie2

Post by Flossie2 »

DS just started at Kegs & I have found the school to be very efficient but without pressure or stuffiness. It has been an easy transition thus far. Certainly personal organisation has to be good & keeping up with homework is important, as it will be in any school. DS very happy, settled & has made some good friends.
KB

Post by KB »

SlightlyStressed, it sounds like your DS will love KEGS. Most parents worry as children face new challenges, especially if they are new situations for us as well. I think it's part of the job description :?

I felt sick during their exams, hated it each time one went to University and so it goes on.....