AGGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wanem

AGGS

Post by wanem »

DD passed AGGS but we are 7 miles to the school. Any chance for her? I know it was no way in previous years, but this year the exam was changed...
enema

Re: AGGS

Post by enema »

I wondered about this. Last year it was about 5.3 miles. It's so hard to compare year by year this year as not only has the provider and 'content' changed, which may or may not have affected the pass rate, but also presumably the numbers sitting will have an influence, and it's hard to even know how many took the exam as they could have sat for it at Sale.
StretfordMum

Post by StretfordMum »

Hi there,

I have been lurking on this forum trying to figure out the same! My daughter has also passed for AGGS but we are about 5 miles as the crow flies and I am keeping everything crossed that she will get in! She has worked so hard and has her heart set on it.
workerbee

Post by workerbee »

Impossible to say year on year what the cut off will be, however.... if you look at a "as the crow flies" map which allows you to input distances from a central point, you will see that by 5.1- 5.5 miles you are getting toward Knutsford and Wimslow (major conurbations) this in my opinion is why the distance never goes to far beyond 5 miles. I suspect a number of girls are likely to pass from these towns and they take up the final places. Good Luck.
fatsals

Post by fatsals »

Over the last few years the distance has lessened, ending arouund mid Knutsford. Also over the last few years girls have been offered places in the last week of August, after all appeals have been heard, even though they were at the top of the waiting list. No second round offers. This included girls in the year PAN was increased.

Unfortunately if you are on the outskirts of area it makes it increasingly unlikely, but very late offers are increasingly common.
enema

Post by enema »

This year is a possible game changer though for the trend though. Over the last few years the last distance admitted has gradually shrunk, but this year CEM ran the exam. The broad view is that CEM is harder than GL, meaning less applicants would have passed than traditionally, and so the distance to admit from may well have expanded. But, some of parents going for the Sale exam may have thought to check the AGGS box too, in for a penny etc, and so the cohort size would have been greater. A bigger pool would likely mean more passes, and therefore shrinking the distance admitted. The two may offset each other, meaning the current distance would stand, but who knows.
Urmstonmom

Post by Urmstonmom »

Hi all, dd passed with excellent marks. We live 5.5 miles from the school. Considering last years catchment area it is quite difficult to say with certainty that she would be offered admission. Don't know if changing to the new exam provider will bring any difference to the overall success rate and the catchment.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

enema wrote:This year is a possible game changer though for the trend though. Over the last few years the last distance admitted has gradually shrunk, but this year CEM ran the exam. The broad view is that CEM is harder than GL, meaning less applicants would have passed than traditionally, and so the distance to admit from may well have expanded. But, some of parents going for the Sale exam may have thought to check the AGGS box too, in for a penny etc, and so the cohort size would have been greater. A bigger pool would likely mean more passes, and therefore shrinking the distance admitted. The two may offset each other, meaning the current distance would stand, but who knows.
I don't think it works that way.

It does not matter if the exam is GL,CEM or A level-the pass make boundaries are adjusted accordingly, they simply draw a line at about 30/70 split, the top 30% or so pass the rest do not(the assumption here is approx. the same candidates will come top in CEM as would have come top in the GL) then its just about distance.

I doubt there will be much difference this yr(most Sale girls have always done the AGGS 11+ , for practice, if for no other reason-since AGGS always comes first)
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Last year was 5.41 I think from the Trafford information. It will be interesting to see how the new set up (link with Sale) and new format impact on that.
enema

Post by enema »

Yes, I realised last night that aggs aim to pass the top 35%, so the pass mark would not be an influencing variable. Therefore, is it a question of whether the skills to pass the new content ie more English focused VR, are found in the historic catchment?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now