Aylesbury grammars full?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
AHS mum

Aylesbury grammars full?

Post by AHS mum »

I've heard from local parents that all three grammars in Aylesbury are full for year 7 in Sep 2006 and that there are waiting lists. Could it be that the increase in housing has meant the grammar places are no longer sufficient? I'm worried that those appealing now, 12+ candidates or late movers will not find a place at the end of the day.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I have no particular knowledge of these three schools, but the number of children registering for the 11+ in Aylesbury is actually down! (1719 in 2006, compared with 1803 in 2005, and 1816 in 2004.)

However, the qualification rate, historically low in Aylesbury, has improved a bit. (The latest figure for 2006 is 368 children qualifying, compared with 354 in 2005.)

In the past I assume some of the slack at grammar schools in Aylesbury has been taken up by children with high scores from outlying areas such as Milton Keynes. Under the new admission criteria, children who live closer to the school should be at an advantage.

There is always the risk of insufficient places for late appeals and the 12+, but Bucks is to be congratulated on completing all timely appeals by mid-February, so that successful appellants can be included in the first round of allocations. (Many other authorities with selective schools have not done this.)

In the grammar allocation the main pressure spots have been Beaconsfield High and Dr Challoner’s Grammar, with all other grammar schools taking all in-county catchment preferences.
Etienne
AHS Mum

Post by AHS Mum »

I'm sure you're right because the parent I was talking to had a daughter who was out of county (but still only 6-7 miles from Aylesbury). She had been put on the AHS waiting list and also told that the Floyd was full. Strangely, though, she was offered a place at Wycombe High - 20-odd miles away!

It made me worry for those considering the 12+ or moving into the area. If year 7 is full now, there won't be any places going later unless people leave. But I suppose this is normal in popular schools.

AHS Mum