Please help, don't know where to start.....

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tonbridge mum of 2

Please help, don't know where to start.....

Post by Tonbridge mum of 2 »

Hi everybody, I have been lurking around here for what seems like forever! I have read loads of interesting and very helpful things but now I really need some help and advice, please.

So we got the results, not what we were expecting at all to be honest they were very low.
We got 108 verbal 106 maths 93 English. We were 13 marks of the required pass mark. But if she had reached the 106 we would have hit the 320 and would have happily, by the skin of our teeth, passed!

Here's the thing, she has settled for the not passing (after a few tears, me and her) and we have picked the school she may be attending I was just about to fill the form in when I realised I wasn't happy with that and really want her to go to Weald.

Is it worth the try of an appeal? I have just emailed the head asking for advise and I am currently waiting for the response. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone .
Eddas

Re: Please help, don't know where to start.....

Post by Eddas »

Hiya. I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable people we be along with help very soon. But I wanted to say that the most important thing at the moment is what you put on your secondary application form. If you want to appeal the gs must be one of your choices. If you decide against appeal in the morning end it won't go against you that the gs is on your form but you can only appeal to a school on the form.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
Is it worth the try of an appeal?
The further away you are from the required mark, the harder it's likely to be.
But no one can really answer your question, because it depends entirely on how strong a case you can put together.

There's a lot of reading to do!
Start here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
Tonbridge mum of 2

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I must admit I have already read the sections before posting the question. I have been trying to get my head around it! I was just wondering if all you experts think the score is too low to stand a chance? I know if I don't appeal I will always wonder 'what if?' But on the other hand 13 points is quite a long way off.

I haven't heard from the head still so will be calling to make an appointment, but I do know there were some children that were 2 marks off and she didn't appeal for them. I'm thinking that she won't support an appeal with us :(
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

It may help to find out how many appeals have been successful in the past at the school you are thinking of appealing to. Is the school under/over subscribed?

Whether you appeal or not is up to you, I don't think anyone on here will advise you one way or the other (I know I really wanted someone to say yes/no last year!!) all I would say is go with your instinct, what do you have to lose? We tried as much as we could to get excited about the comp dd had chosen and was allocated in March, she was happy to go there. I would not have been able to not appeal because I would always have wondered 'what if?' I know a few people who have unsuccessfully appealed and not one of them regrets appealing even though they didn't get the answer they wanted.
Tonbridge mum of 2

Well Ive now heard from the head and she is willing to support an appeal, which is good. I've filled the form in with the grammar as my first preference and that's about all I can do for now. Isn't it?

It's going to be a tough fight but I can hopefully get all I need in time. Thanks for the advice and no doubt I will be on again from time to time to ask a few more questions.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now