Fail 11+ - All is not lost

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
natnats

Fail 11+ - All is not lost

Post by natnats »

DD missed out on 11+ by a few marks last year and we were all understandably upset as she worked extremely hard. Anyway put her name down for an In Year application to Year 7 just in case a place came up. She took entrance exam and she was just offered place at her initial first choice grammar school - to start after half term. Happy does not come close to explain how we feel. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
ToadMum

Re: Fail 11+ - All is not lost

Post by ToadMum »

natnats wrote:DD missed out on 11+ by a few marks last year and we were all understandably upset as she worked extremely hard. Anyway put her name down for an In Year application to Year 7 just in case a place came up. She took entrance exam and she was just offered place at her initial first choice grammar school - to start after half term. Happy does not come close to explain how we feel. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Congratulations :D

Our DD also got her place at SHSG by that route three years ago (although she had to wait until nearly the end of year 7 for places to come up).

Which school?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
rejim2

Post by rejim2 »

Congratulations! Peace at last...
One of the nice post...

I don't know which is your area- but wanted to know whether do we need to do a mid term application through the council for the school so that they can call the candidate for an entrance exam. Also after 11 plus, in what sort of time gap they do call for these exams. I do accept that this might vary area wise, but still appreciate any info-
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Congratulations to your DD, natnats! :D
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
natnats

Post by natnats »

The school was SHSG and apparently quite a few extra spaces arose recently for year 7. . I was not expecting to get the assessment exam letter until next term at the earliest. Only problem is there is no i/c priority. It is simply based on the scores and they allocate spaces on the highest mark and work downwards (and the minimum threshold is that the child must be at the same level of the lowest set of current girls). There is a perception that once a child "fails" the 11+ there is no way back. It is simply not true. My main concern was possible disappointment twice but she was adamant she wanted to try again
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

rejim2 wrote:Congratulations! Peace at last...
One of the nice post...

I don't know which is your area- but wanted to know whether do we need to do a mid term application through the council for the school so that they can call the candidate for an entrance exam. Also after 11 plus, in what sort of time gap they do call for these exams. I do accept that this might vary area wise, but still appreciate any info-
When we applied for DD to go on the Continuing Interest list for SHSG at about this stage in year 7 (3 years ago), the process for that school was to make an application for an in-year transfer via Admissions at Southend Borough Council. I'm not sure that it is the same for all Southend grammar schools, though - if it doesn't say in the becomes transfer booklet / online, phone or email the school you are interested in.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

natnats wrote:The school was SHSG and apparently quite a few extra spaces arose recently for year 7. . I was not expecting to get the assessment exam letter until next term at the earliest. Only problem is there is no i/c priority. It is simply based on the scores and they allocate spaces on the highest mark and work downwards (and the minimum threshold is that the child must be at the same level of the lowest set of current girls). There is a perception that once a child "fails" the 11+ there is no way back. It is simply not true. My main concern was possible disappointment twice but she was adamant she wanted to try again
I wonder how many of the ones who have left were from the extra 30, who may well have been from even further flung parts than usual?