Is my DS's score high enough for SHSB?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pommymum

Is my DS's score high enough for SHSB?

Post by Pommymum »

My DS scored 30/60 English 43/60 Maths. Standardised score 311.22 and we are out of catchment near Billericay. We were surprised with his score as he had not had any coaching and only did three familiarisation papers a week before the test. I feel I've let him down by not preparing him for the Tests or sending him for coaching. We honestly didn't think he stood a chance but because he said he wanted to have a go we entered him. We're going to look around Southend school on Thurs 22 Oct. What questions should we be asking? Totally new to all this so would appreciate any advice please. If he should miraculously get a place what are the transport links like?
pinkrabbit38

Re: Is my DS's score high enough for SHSB?

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Pommymum wrote:My DS scored 30/60 English 43/60 Maths. Standardised score 311.22 and we are out of catchment near Billericay. We were surprised with his score as he had not had any coaching and only did three familiarisation papers a week before the test. I feel I've let him down by not preparing him for the Tests or sending him for coaching. We honestly didn't think he stood a chance but because he said he wanted to have a go we entered him. We're going to look around Southend school on Thurs 22 Oct. What questions should we be asking? Totally new to all this so would appreciate any advice please. If he should miraculously get a place what are the transport links like?
My son is in year 8, we live in Galleywood and my son's bus goes from Galleywood onto Billericay and then straight through to the Westcliff schools and SHSB.
I'm not sure you will get a place with that score out of catchment, have you seen the guidance sheet which gives you the last scores in etc. My son scored 332.9 and got in off the waiting list when an extra class was added.
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

Yes - I agree with Pinkrabbit - looking at the guidance sheet, it doesn't look likely that your son will get a place at SHSB, but there is definitely no harm in putting it on your form - it all depends on how many people apply. From Billericay there is the bus that has already been mentioned, but a number of boys use the train, getting off at Prittlewell and then walking up to the school. Good luck.
Freddiefox2002

Post by Freddiefox2002 »

I'm afraid it almost certainly won't be. My
son scored 322. Something in 2014 and missed
out. I think the lowest bark last year was still in
the 320s.
Pommymum

Post by Pommymum »

Many thanks for all your replies. We will have a look at SHSB tomorrow. Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. I can't understand why the cut off for Southend boys is higher than Southend girls. Was wondering if this is a printing error. I wish I had found this forum a year ago as I feel so ignorant about everything. My son is pretty laid back about things and won't be disappointed if he has to go to local comp.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Pommymum wrote:Many thanks for all your replies. We will have a look at SHSB tomorrow. Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. I can't understand why the cut off for Southend boys is higher than Southend girls. Was wondering if this is a printing error. I wish I had found this forum a year ago as I feel so ignorant about everything. My son is pretty laid back about things and won't be disappointed if he has to go to local comp.
I think the Southend Girls score is probably a lot lower as it doesn't attract the out of catchment girls so much due to it being so far out compared to the Westcliff schools and Southend Boys.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

From the current Secondary School Admissions (Southend Borough Council):

Number of applications (all preferences) for entry 2015 (current year 7):

SHSB 829
SHS 649
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Pommymum

Post by Pommymum »

That's interesting. I had no idea the girls school was further out. I assumed they would be close as they are at Westcliff. I'm getting all these snippets of info which I can pass on to friends.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

[quote="Pommymum"]That's interesting. I had no idea the girls school was further out. I assumed they would be close as they are at Westcliff. I'm getting all these snippets of info which I can pass on to friends.[/quote]

SHSG is easily accessible from Southend East station on the c2c line and 10-15 minutes on the bus from a stop near Southend Victoria station (?25 minutes from Billericay). It is quicker not to get the bus directly outside the station as you have to go down to the travel centre and almost all the way back again, although if you are a slow walker, or likely the distracted by the delights of Starbucks or Greggs on the way round to Southchurch Road, it might not make much difference :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
3kidmum

Post by 3kidmum »

Hi Everyone, My son scored 333. o/c.Can some one please tell me his chances of getting SHSB?