watford boys vs QEB

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zhp

watford boys vs QEB

Post by zhp »

Hi are there any parents out there who have had children at both schools and happy to share their experience or when choosing over one over the other what considerations were made. Would appreciate feedback.

I have an older son at QEB and my DS has probably only made it on the waiting list for QEB with 222 however the Watford score is more hopeful .

We have already considered aspects of personality best fit etc but hoping to get some feedback on experiences

thanks
3b1g

Re: watford boys vs QEB

Post by 3b1g »

No experience of QEB, but have three sons at WBGS. We have been very happy with it. Particular strengths are Maths, Music, Classics, learning support and pastoral care.
madsystem

Post by madsystem »

The sixth form cull at qeb is one issue to consider. Transport depends where you live. Boys local to girls so some links does qeb have any similar
fiate2000

Post by fiate2000 »

Having a son each at Watford and Barnet is quite rare and I do not suppose you will find many responses here.

Being a QE parent yourself, you are in a much better position compared to most in this forum to judge if that school is suitable or not for DS2. So the only thing I can suggest is that fill in the CAF in the true order of your preference and hope for the best.

All the best to your DS and you.
vasu

Post by vasu »

I have a son at Qe and another in St Clement. I know it is not the exact same permutation as u request. Back to your query. If I had a chance to a do over, my son at Qe would be in St Olaves in Orpington or Keggs in Essex. Or better still in Watford boys. But my son loves QE. On the other hand I feel St clement is a much better school than QE in many ways. But then it is all about the League table, isn't it! Whichever school you choose, don't prefer a school because of its great results, choose something that your son will thrive in. Best of luck. Sorry for not making any sense.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Hi Vasu,

Can you elaborate on what you prefer about SCD and why you would want your son at QE to be almost anywhere else, especially as he loves it there?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this as our choice for DS is pretty much between QE and SCD.

He got good scores in both exams, but probably not quite good enough to get one of the very few out-of-catchment places at Parmiters or Rickmansworth (which would be a bit closer for us than SCD).

QE is the easiest for us to get to, by school or public bus.

Thanks
vasu

Post by vasu »

Frankly It depends on you child in the end. We did not willing chose SCD for my younger one frankly. He never made the QE cutoff. And we were upset for some time. But then DS1's year 9 started at qe and the amout of pressure on him was immense. Now most probably QE will not let him triple science or force him into subject he is really good at, not what he wants. It is a daily grind. He is now in year 10. There is no avenue for respite. It is work 24/7. There is no drama or dance GCSE. Teachers are super strict. And boys...they are churning out like each other with very less distinctive personalities. But my DS1 loves his school. He thrives in that high pressure envoirment. DS2 would have been swallowed. DS2 comes smiling everyday. He gets hw but not enough to drown him. He is an artistic laid back child. Hence my statement. DS1 would have been happy anywhere but he chose QE for himself. Now you have to ask yourself, what kind of student your ds is. QE is one of thoes highly coveted prize that people would trample over each other to get to. If u refuse QE for SCD, people will mock you for your choice!! I really don't want you to take on board anything I have said.. Listen to your gut instinct.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Vasu
Thanks for that very honest assessment.
DS really wants QE, but we now have a few days of hard thinking to do!
nyr

Post by nyr »

I also have a son at QE, in Y8. He absolutely loves it and doesn't find the teachers to be super-strict. The rules were laid out on the first day of Y7 and re-iterated during the next few days. As far as he's concerned, the teachers are on the whole much fairer than those in his primary school, which is considered to have a very light touch to discipline.

Yes, he is incredibly busy. Not with homework but with a very wide variety of clubs before, during and after school.

Of course, we still have Y9-11 to look forward to.

nyr
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Year 9 does seem to be the time when an already academic school steps up a gear.

No need to repeat the discussion of QE's tough approach to GCSE and A' Level options. The question is, can DS cope with the pressure, and can we?!

DS is quite clear in his choice, even after reading some of the QE threads in this forum.