WGHS MUSIC AND SPORT

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
staffsmum

WGHS MUSIC AND SPORT

Post by staffsmum »

Hi all

We are still trying to make a firm decision regarding our choices on the CAF form so would be most grateful if anyone could shed some light on the music and sport provision at WGHS if possible.
I believe there is an orchestra but was curious to find out what the level of the music standard was and how active the music department was. Looking at the CH/QMGS thread they do seem to have some fantastic opportunities !
Any feedback would be most appreciated.
Faith4

Re: WGHS MUSIC AND SPORT

Post by Faith4 »

I'm sorry I can't help you with that. I hope someone does answer your question for you. When you say CH do you mean CHG in Birmingham?
staffsmum

Post by staffsmum »

I think it is. Was just reading the previous thread !
Thanks for posting though my question was beginning to look very lonely ! I have just noticed that WGHS has had a Good Schools Guide report so I may try and subscribe to get a full read ..Not sure how useful these are but may throw a bit more light
Faith4

Post by Faith4 »

No worries Staffsmum.

That sounds like a good idea. I hope it makes things clearer for you.
CHG is one of the best in the country so if your score is high for the Birmingham Consortium that's a brilliant choice too.

Take care.
staffsmum

Post by staffsmum »

Faith4 we would have loved to have had a choice of CHG as she has scored well enough to put this down as a first choice but sadly would mean a relocation for the whole family which we have decided against...
Hoping WGHS will offer her as many opportunities as the grammars in Birmingham...
Cosmo6

Post by Cosmo6 »

Hi, hope I can help with your question. My dd is in year 7 at WGHS and is doing music lessons. There was a huge range of instruments to choose from and most instruments can be borrowed from the school if necessary. They cater for beginners and more advanced players. You can do exams to pass grades 1-8. There is a beginners band and plenty of other lunchtime/after school music clubs depending on ability. There is string orchestra but I believe you need to be grade 3/4 or above for this.....my daughter wasn't 100% sure!! At the parents open evening back in April, when we had accepted dd's place, we found the music teachers to be very helpful and passionate about their teaching! Lessons can be individual, paired or group, depending how much you want to spend (you are paired/grouped with others at the same level/grade)
Payments can be made up front in full, termly or monthly to spread the cost.

As far as sports go, there are lots to choose from, most at lunchtimes and opportunities come up to represent the school. My dd has already been selected for Cross country. Netball is the biggest sport at WGHS, but they also do the usual.....hockey, gymnastics, cricket, football........

I have to say my dd is loving the school :D
staffsmum

Post by staffsmum »

Thanks Cosmo6 for your help! Much appreciated. I feel confident about submitting our choices on the CAF form now.
It is always helpful to have feedback from DPs who have children in the school so thank you once again
staffsmum

Post by staffsmum »

In case anyone is interested have just read through the GSG review of WGHS and I have to say it was glowing…
Apparently there is a famous female cricketer as part of their alumnus and a previous head girl who is on the England National cricket team …Needless to say though they do tend to highlight the strengths of the schools ( i suspect they wouldn't be invited back if not) ! A few of the Birmingham Grammars have been reviewed and KEHS too.

Petitpois if the GSG review is anything to go by, I can understand why you were so impressed with KEHS !
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

We are guaranteed a place at WGHS if our Birmingham choices don't come off. DD took up clarinet briefly (just long enough for me to buy the books).

She is jealous now of younger DD who is yr4, took up instrument and within a reasonable period of time is playing music.

What would people say / advise regarding starting music at yr7. Is WGHS good for beginners, or would be a good idea to try and get her start now while she is still in yr6. She seemed to say that the music teacher at WGHS said there was no problem for beginners coming into yr7?

Any observations or suggestions gratefully recieved.
Cosmo6

Post by Cosmo6 »

Petitpois wrote:We are guaranteed a place at WGHS if our Birmingham choices don't come off. DD took up clarinet briefly (just long enough for me to buy the books).

She is jealous now of younger DD who is yr4, took up instrument and within a reasonable period of time is playing music.

What would people say / advise regarding starting music at yr7. Is WGHS good for beginners, or would be a good idea to try and get her start now while she is still in yr6. She seemed to say that the music teacher at WGHS said there was no problem for beginners coming into yr7?

Any observations or suggestions gratefully recieved.

Hi, Starting music in year 7 will not be a problem. My dd is year 7 at WGHS and has just taken on a new instrument (complete beginner). She is loving it so far, has made really good friends in her music group and has even joined the beginners band on Monday lunchtimes! Prior to that she dabbled with keyboard/piano (yr 4-5) but got bored.....

There were lots of beginners when we applied and so many instruments to choose from, so I wouldn't worry at all.......
Last edited by Cosmo6 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now