Licence of the Transort provider to Tiffin girls revoked

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
1Ibtisam

Licence of the Transort provider to Tiffin girls revoked

Post by 1Ibtisam »

I have now accordingly been informed that the provider of transport for our children has been revoked because of serious malpractice. any suggestion as to a legitimate provider would be helpful. Can the school help directions?
hina

Re: Licence of the Transort provider to Tiffin girls revoked

Post by hina »

hi
i got this from one of the parent from tgs....hope this helps?

Dear Tiffin Parents / PSA Team

I am a fellow Tiffin Girls parent involved in organising a Mini-Bus service for girls attending Tiffin from Hounslow and the surrounding areas. The VOSA licensed Transport company who operates the service may put on more routes for girls but only if there are enough parents taking the service from specific areas.

Many areas like Southall can have a service if just one or two more girls join on that route.

We know that many parents are struggling at the moment since an unlicensed operator has ceased to provide service but do not know what other options exist.

If you know of any parents in your class who may want to use a licensed legal minibus service from Hounslow and the surrounding areas please refer them to the website where they will find more information.

http://www.myschoolbus.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for your help in sharing this information with any parents who may need help with a minibus service.

Kind regards
pii

Post by pii »

we also got this e-mail from tiffin boys school. On the 13 sept 2015:

Headteacher: Mr M D Gascoigne

Dear Parent,

Earlier this term Mr Gascoigne wrote to you outlining the checks you should take if you are using one of the private minibus services to transport your son to and from Tiffin School.

Yesterday, The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA - part of the Department for Transport) conducted a spot check on some of these mini buses at The Tiffin Girls’ School. They found that a mini bus service operated by Ample Travel was found to be in serious breach of current legislation in a number of areas including licensing, insurance and motor vehicle safety. It has subsequently been removed from the road. I understand that this company also transports some of our students.

If you use these services, please do check with your operator that they comply with current legislation for Public Service Vehicle services (https://www.gov.uk/psv-operator-licences/overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and are safe.

All minibus services should be able to provide you with an Operator’s License number. They should also be able to satisfy any questions you pose to them regarding adequate insurance, vehicle compliance and driver suitability.

When making decisions about which travel service to use please ensure that you use reliable sources of information and not rely upon blog or forum reviews.

Yours sincerely
Mrs Barrett
Deputy Head

--------
initially ample travel was missing from their usual pickup spot on Birkenhead avenue (tiffin boys) but yesterday there was no other minibus visible on that road. DVSA is getting strict on such law breaking companies. I know this because I drive my son there every day but not every parent can do that. I have sympathy for them as they have the choice of public transport or fall in the hands of these companies who charge in excess of £10 a day.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

£10 a day? If you are in Hounslow have you considered the 281 bus which is a very reliable and frequent service and would get your daughters very close to the school for £0 per day?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Peridot wrote:£10 a day? If you are in Hounslow have you considered the 281 bus which is a very reliable and frequent service and would get your daughters very close to the school for £0 per day?
Ironically, people often choose expensive private services, even when there is a free and regulated alternative, because they perceive public transport to be 'unsafe' :shock: ...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Don't live in the area, but my in laws live just down the road from Tiffin girls. My DD has an Oyster card for when we travel in London or she stays live them. Therefore I know that you are fortunate enough to get free bus travel for kids. If there's a tfl bus, I'm not entirely sure why you'd pay for a private bus.

My DDs school doesn't have any school buses. All the girls travel on public transport, walk or parents drop them somewhere closely. My DD has used the local bus service since starting school in year 7. Public transport (usually) has the benefit of being more reliable, more flexible and the the case of London, free.

In addition my DD has gained confidence in using public transport and last year managed to navigate her way across town to a friend's house, requiring a change of bus into a bus route she had never used before. I doubt she would have had the confidence to do that if she was using a private school bus everyday. It means she has a freedom to travel.

So please don't dismiss public transport out of hand.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now