Apealing against an unsuccessful appeal - anyone been there?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sallyp

Apealing against an unsuccessful appeal - anyone been there?

Post by sallyp »

:?
To say i am annoyed is an understatment!
my son got 120, Aug b'day, 2 strong head teachers reports blah, blah, balh- guess what 'unsuccessful'

Has anyone tried to question the decsion by either appealing to the council or writing to the ombudsman?

I am thinking about it, but having clearly not understood what they want in an appeal, thought i would ask!

Thx
Sally
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Ask for the claerk's notes first - we did go to the ombudsman but it was so slow that child had been succesful at 12+ before we got anywhere.
sallyp

Post by sallyp »

Hi, thx.
I have paid my £10 and hope to ge the notes next week, did you find the notes an accurate reflection of the appeal meeting? The minutes are my first step

I have spoken to the ombudsman, but this seemed like a slow process and you have confirmed this, however, another avenue for justice!
Sally

ps clearly my spelling has gone to pot as a consequence of the trauma!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No - the notes were not accurate - huge chunk of our case missed out - some parts where we were asked questions that indicated they had not read all the paperwork were also omitted. I wondered if they had been edited ..
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I wondered if they had been edited ..
No, I don't believe this (not in Bucks anyway!). It would be a very, very serious matter. The problem is the notes are just notes, they're not meant to be verbatim. They should, of course, record all the important points - but that leaves a degree of discretion to the clerk (who is struggling to keep up with everything that's being said!).

I was interested to read the post by Tom's Mum the other day:
Tom's mum wrote:Although it might seem like clutching at straws, I would recommend requesting the clerk's notes. In our 'rejection' letter last year, I noticed they did not mention the most compelling piece of evidence offered at our appeal so I asked for them on this basis. Instead of getting the notes, we were offered a reappeal! And this time we were successful!
Of course, most people are not going to have a similar outcome - but in my experience the majority do find the notes of interest.
Etienne
dejavu

Did Guest55 win reappeal?

Post by dejavu »

Dear Guest55

Well done for your child's success in passing the 12+.

Was just interested to know that as you said you had the 12+ success before the ombudsman thing, did you bother going ahead with a reappeal? Because what would have happened if you could not get your child into the GS of your choice during 12+ allocation? If you had had a successful reappeal outcome, then surely there would be grounds for giving you the GS of your choice because it was their mistake that put you in that position. Hypothetical, I know, but it may be a scenario for someone in the future?
many thanks
dejavu
sallyp

Post by sallyp »

Hi, was interested to see the bit from Etienne re Toms mum ( are you keeping up!?) that in the notification letter they did not refer at all to the most complleing evidence we stated and also the head had refered to twice; this is bothering me - why not?

Could you let me know what the compelling evidence was that you thought had been missed?

mine referres to my sons dramatic and amazing academic improvement since sept, even moving 1 whole SATs place - he is on the hockey stick part of accelerated achievment as a late developer, Aug b'day, the head supported this with evidence, but they seem to have missed it or ignored it - your advise would be really helpful many thx
Sally
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The ombudsman took so long to investigate that our child had taken 12+ and qualified - no point in a reappeal at that stage. However, if we had not got our first choice school I think we would have had strong grounds for transfer appeal ...
traccb

Post by traccb »

Hi Sally, I know how you feel, my daughter scored 12/120 and didn't get in. I've posted a reply to hertsdad re the questions we were asked by the panel( so you can read more on my daughters scores etc in that reply) and like you I am left clueless and totally devasted as to why we were unsuccessful. As you can tell I am still not over it and mine was on the first day. I was honest in my replies but hoped that the academic evidence would be strong enough like you. I just wanted to reply to give you some comfort in that you're not alone. We had someone training to be a panel member in ours and wondered whether the panel were tougher as a result. I can't tell you the amount of jaw dropping reactions I've had over the outcome and am dismayed as to what they wanted. I feel that somehow we let our daughter down and am struggling to come to terms with the whole thing. I understand exactly how you feel.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear traccb

I assume the trainee was there as an observer with your permission. If it's any comfort, I don't believe for one moment this would have influenced the panel one way or another.

If you haven't already done so, it might be worth asking for the clerk's notes to see what light they shed on the panel's decision. (Q&As, E14b)
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now