Swings in grammar preferences Yr on Yr

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Petitpois

Swings in grammar preferences Yr on Yr

Post by Petitpois »

Please see the variances in numbers of parents putting each school as a pref 1-6 between 2014 and last year.

I chucked in Arthur Terry and Fairfax numbers because of the probable link between these choices and KEA and BV in particular.

The one draw dropper number is the 500 extra people that stuck KEFW down as a pref last year - up to a wopping 1877 from 1377.

Despite all changes over last couple of years the large change in cut off varies by an average 1.6% either way with the biggest being KEFW rising 3% to 232 this year from 224. Why there is such a large absolute increase in pref for KEFW is interesting??

Only two to decrease numbers in 2015 were Bishop Vesey and Handsworth Girls.

I am going to take a huge punt and suggest that 2015 was a complete one off for KEFW that will not be sustained this year. I am going to have a bang at the KEFW cut off score coming down to 227 this year.

Code: Select all

School
KEHGS			936				decrease of 12% 112 less applied
KECHG			863				increase of 7% 57 more applied
SCGS			1151				no change
KEFW 		  1877				increase of 27% 500 more applied
HGS			 1047				increase of 2% 22 more applied
KEA			 1097				increase of 5% 58 more applied
KECHB		   778				increase of 4% 32 more applied
BV			  1009				decrease of 6% 65 less applied
Fairfax		1248				increase of 8% 103 more applied
Arthur Terry 1085			   increase of 9% 93 more applied
Last edited by Petitpois on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy dad

Re: Swings in grammar preferences Yr on Yr

Post by Happy dad »

The large increase for KEFW will be the result of first, the impact of PP and the relatively low cut off score and second the first fruits of the KEFW outreach programme.
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

Petitpois wrote:Please see the variances in numbers of parents putting each school as a pref 1-6 between 2014 and last year.

I chucked in Arthur Terry and Fairfax numbers because of the probable link between these choices and KEA and BV in particular.

The one draw dropper number is the 500 extra people that stuck KEFW down as a pref last year - up to a wopping 1877 from 1377.

Despite all changes over last couple of years the large change in cut off score between 2013 and 15 change in cut varies by average 1.6% either way with biggest being KEFW rising 3% to 232 this year from 224. Why such a large absolute increase in pref for KEFW is interesting??

Only two to decrease numbers in 2015 were Bishop Vesey and Handsworth Girls.

I am going to take a huge punt and suggest that 2015 was a complete one off for KEFW that will not be sustained this year. I am going to have a bang at the KEFW cut off score coming down to 227 this year.

Code: Select all

School
KEHGS			936				decrease of 12% 112 less applied
KECHG			863				increase of 7% 57 more applied
SCGS			1151				no change
KEFW 		  1877				increase of 27% 500 more applied
HGS			 1047				increase of 2% 22 more applied
KEA			 1097				increase of 5% 58 more applied
KECHB		   778				increase of 4% 32 more applied
BV			  1009				decrease of 6% 65 less applied
Fairfax		1248				increase of 8% 103 more applied
Arthur Terry 1085			   increase of 9% 93 more applied

Is ethnicity of school's area or pupil is a deciding factor ?
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Who knows about why people decide what to do. I would put money on KEFW falling back this year though as 27% and 500 in one year is too much. Many will rule themselves out at the higher cut off
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

Yes but I was quite shocked and it was eye opener for me after reading some posts on this forum which indicates they prefer certain school over other because of certain majority ethnicity pupil or the area where the school is ..of course they are not putting it direct across as I am theirs is much politically correct statement but inside full of prejudices.
They will ask you is the school ethnically diverse?? Or will my child be spot the White kid in school or I don't feel comfortable if my child travelling to certain area where the school is... They will put it across that their child won't be comfortable......comfortable??? Comfortable ?? How can ethnicity of other 11 year olds can affect the comfortableness of your child ???
Isn't education should be the priority of your child rather than the ethnicity ??
I assume parents here are well concerned of the education of their dc , education begins at home and this coming from their mouth shows what kind of venom is put in the minds of the little kids and what sort of adults they will turn out ??

If you got problems with certain ethnicities and don't want your child to have education with then why bother looking for schools in Birmingham which is one of the most diverse city and we love and proud of our city !!!!

It really shocks me !!! No wonder the divide in the society is growing day by day !!!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Yep there are racists out there. Maybe some on here.

I am not sure it amounts to racism to want to avoid a school where one group totally dominates. Btw i would be afraid of sending my daughter to some of the white dominated schools in this city and she is white.
jojob

Post by jojob »

Petitpois wrote:Yep there are racists out there. Maybe some on here.

I am not sure it amounts to racism to want to avoid a school where one group totally dominates. Btw i would be afraid of sending my daughter to some of the white dominated schools in this city and she is white.
Totally agree- I'm of Jewish/Irish heritage myself, I love the big melting pot of different ethnicities that is Birmingham, but I wouldn't want my ds to go to a school where any particular group dominated. Is that racist?!
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

I was quite shocked to hear all this here as people on this forum seems to be well educated and from good sections of the society ...
But now I try to understand why some schools are so oversubscribed than others...

Schools good or bad depends on lots of different factors but I am sure not on ethnicity !!!!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

just for the record HGS is a diverse school, even if there are only 5 whites in it.

What makes other decide what they decide is up to them. I hope the point of my thread is not lost, especially regarding the huge numbers that put kefw down as a pref last year.

I really think this will drop back for this school this year.

ABJ in terms of casting stones, be quicker to judge yourself, is a better start position
jojob

Post by jojob »

ABJ wrote:

I was quite shocked to hear all this here as people on this forum seems to be well educated and from good sections of the society ...
But now I try to understand why some schools are so oversubscribed than others...

Schools good or bad depends on lots of different factors but I am sure not on ethnicity
Last edited by jojob on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.