Wilmington Boys - Open evening last night

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Gydde

Wilmington Boys - Open evening last night

Post by Gydde »

Just wondered what peoples' thoughts were? I have to say we were really really impressed and DS now has his heart set on this school. It's thrown a real curveball. To be honest we had never really considered it, always assumed (wrongly) that DS would go to DGS (we live in catchment between both schools). I don't know what it was but Wilmington had such a nice feel to it, the teachers were warming and the boys (well the ones we came across!!) were so polite. Didn't feel as austere or as stuffy as DGS.

Wondered what other people's opinions were?

Going to see Gravesend tonight and back to DGS tomorrow (although we've seen it a couple of times and know what to expect).

Didn't realise how hard the final decision would be ......

Good luck everyone!
Muggle

Re: Wilmington Boys - Open evening last night

Post by Muggle »

WGSB has such a lovely, friendly and caring atmosphere. All children should go to a school like Wilmington!
Gydde

Post by Gydde »

Thanks Muggle. Do you have a DS or know anyone at Wilmington?

I just feel so confused, where I live the focus is always on DGS, but after visiting Wilmington Boys I really can't understand why it's seen as second best. The school seems to offer children so much more than "results" ...

I suppose I'm just after reassurance that we're doing the right thing giving up a place at DGS for Wilmington. Although my gut instinct tells me my son may have it right...
Chip Butty

Post by Chip Butty »

Absolutely! Best of them all.

As has been pointed out on another thread: 'caring' rather than the 'sink or swim' approach of say, Dartford Grammar.

We are definitely going for Wilmington as our first choice - the school goes from strength to strength
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

I know many boys at Wilmington who are very happy and doing very well there. It was our second choice ahead of other superselectives. It really all boils down to which school best suits your DS, rather than some report or results or whatever.

As hideous as open days/evenings are, they are so necessary in the decision making process.
Ena Sharples

Post by Ena Sharples »

Chip Butty wrote:We are definitely going for Wilmington as our first choice - the school goes from strength to strength
I agree wholeheartedly with that - a well rounded school with a caring, nurturing philosophy replete with excellent academic standards
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now