KENT ADMISSIONS CONSULTATION DOCUMENT

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

KENT ADMISSIONS CONSULTATION DOCUMENT

Post by Sally-Anne »

This helpful link was pointed out by Guest Perplexed, and it was agreed that it should be posted as a "Sticky" on the Kent section.

You can respond to the proposals online.

http://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-le ... tation.htm

Sally-Anne
forumadmin
Site Admin

Post by forumadmin »

This is important: seems like Kent exams will move to 3rd week of September and parents need to start preparing at least 4 months earlier than previous years:

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/11_ ... news=local
twmum

kent11+ jan09? to become kent10+sept08?

Post by twmum »

A query for forum admin:given the awful dilemma we in kent are facing regarding the change in 11+ dates, possibly not knowing until may!why have you deleted a thread by Peter whose CV seems more than qualified to pass on vital information ,which us" mere parents" are not privy too.He is a valuable asset to Kent forum.Surely not a threat? as this invaluable site is more than just individual regions.............vital in fact!!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear TW Mum

The thread started by Peter was temporarily removed by a moderator until such time forum admin could make a decision. The posts were directing forum users to a commercial website [ Payment for Constultations ]which is against Forum Rules.

Of course, Peter may convey freely, any vital information on THIS forum, if he so wishes.

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

The current position as of 6 February..

http://www.kent.gov.uk/news/feb08-secon ... ssment.htm

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Some more informaion...

http://www.kent.gov.uk/committees/cabin ... uary-2008/

Scroll down to the bottom...

Item7 and appendix

Patricia
Peter

Post by Peter »

Glad I was able to alert the forum to this issue.
perplexed

potential change in 11+ date

Post by perplexed »

I'm going to ask two questions - and risk the cross responses! Why do so many people on this site seem worried about the potential date change of the Kent 11+ ? And why is the uncertainty a problem?

My thoughts on the first question are that once everyone is aware of the new date, it should make no difference as the idea of the Kent assessment is to find the top 25% of the population as measured by that assessment. So why is the actual date relevant as everyone suffers the tests at around about the same time.

On the second question, it would seem to me that those people who are aware of the potential change can prepare as though it is going to be in September, and then if it is not all the better. They apparently have an advantage over those who are blissfully ignorant of the potential change. They will be able to get further through the maths syllabus and therefore have an advantage in the maths paper if the date changes. Those who do not know about the change may rely entirely on the maths covered in Year 6 by Jan 2009 and then find that they are going to have to sit it in Sept 2008 based on only Year 5 maths coverage.

As an aside, if I were to bet on it, I would have put money on the date coming forward this year to September. I can't really see why the Secretary of State for Education would decide otherwise when it would seem that the majority of consultees were happy, and the proposal is in line with the new admissions code of practice. Or is there some more complex politics here, or some statutory timescales that were not adhered to?

Just my thoughts!!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Perplexed I totally agree with you actually. It really doesn't matter whether it is September or January as everybody will be taking it at the same time anyway. If I had a child taking it for entry 2009 I would assume that September will be the new date - by the time you need to be doing a few papers for timing etc. you will know when it actually is.
On a personal note January is pretty poor timing, how can you do papers over the Christmas period? My child didn't - she was far too interested in new Xmas pressies etc. :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

it will also make secondary school choices easier if you know the results before applying or a school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now