The Allocation and equal preference system

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ThreeKids

The Allocation and equal preference system

Post by ThreeKids »

I believe this is how it works in simple terms, and the cycle continues until all schools have filled their PAN. It is the reason why it is important that you place your preferences in your true order of preference.
fatherofdd

Re: The Allocation and equal preference system

Post by fatherofdd »

My DD has got a better change for WGGS (Watford outcatchment area).. but want to apply for dr challoner (outside catchment) .. will her change of WGGS will be reduced if I put that as 2nd priority in CAF form. Any advise appreciated.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

fatherofdd wrote:My DD has got a better change for WGGS (Watford outcatchment area).. but want to apply for dr challoner (outside catchment) .. will her change of WGGS will be reduced if I put that as 2nd priority in CAF form. Any advise appreciated.

It will make no difference to whether she will get a place or not, unless she gets offered the higher choice. Schools do not know what position you place them and it does not affect your chances of getting a place.

So put the schools down in your genuine order of preference.
Newbie121

Post by Newbie121 »

Say you point choice 5 and 6 down on CAF form and you are really confused which one you prefer. If you are given choice 5, can you then change your mind and try for choice 6? I know if you get choice 6, you can be on the wait list for choice 5, but I'm not clear on the other way round. Thanks.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

No, it works the same way down the list. If you got 5th choice the 6th would be removed.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

booellesmum wrote:No, it works the same way down the list. If you got 5th choice the 6th would be removed.
Some (? All) LEAs allow you to add new schools to your list after the initial allocation. At this point, you might be able to make a new application to 'school 6', but with no guarantee of success. It really is best to get your preferences posted out before the final submission date.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Every year I know of students who lose the school they really want as they put it as a lower preference. I know of a student who came in the top twenty at DAO but lost the place because her parents put the local comp first as they said in their open evening that you had to.

If you put a school lower than another school that allocates you a place you will lose your place at that school. DG
Newbie121

Post by Newbie121 »

We are struggling with choice 5 and 6. Got a good comp near by which was going to be in at 6. But then thought we'd put that at 5 as the 5th choice grammar has not won us over! :shock: :shock:
OliverBBommel

Post by OliverBBommel »

I'm sure this has been discussed before on this forum - but I can't find the posts - on CAFs and waiting lists.

Is it possible to go on the waiting list for a 'lower-preference' school - after being allocated a 'higher-preference' school - after March 1st? (Due to change of circumstances etc.)

(I understood that children allocated a lower-preference school are automatically being put on the waiting list for the higher-preference schools on their CAFs - but how about the other way around?)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to check with your LA - there are differences.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now