SGS vs WCGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kingston mum

SGS vs WCGS

Post by Kingston mum »

Can you please help as I am a bit lost now that we have to decide what order to put the schools on the CAF list.
Being grammar schools they all have good academic results and the few percentages difference in the A level results IMHO are not significant. We live in North Kingston, less than a mile from Tiffin so this will be our first choice however we don't know how our DS will do in the second part as it is after the CAF deadline. He passed WCGS and SGS so the dilemma is what order to put them on the list. I realise we don't have a great chance for SGS as being OOC there are only 60 places but the problem is that we have not visited either SGS or WCGS as we thought they are too far to travel and now is of course too late! Since then we have heard of children travelling from Kingston on 213 or X26 so we think is feasible.
SGS is closer, at that time in the morning 2 miles can make a significant difference in travelling time but is in the middle of a residential area and I don't know how far the sports grounds are. I understand is strong in Maths but I don't know much more. WCGS is further and I'm not sure how reliable x26 is in the morning but I've heard good things on this forum re pastoral care . My DS is not bothered too much about music but he likes cricket, drama and art and he is quite sociable. Can parents with children at these schools give some feedback please?
redstar

Re: SGS vs WCGS

Post by redstar »

The journey to school makes a huge difference from Kingston. I don't often see boys travelling to WCGS because they have to get a very early bus ie before 7am from Kingston (although I do know of a couple though hearsay, but not personally). On a map the distance between Sutton and Wallington is not far, but given the traffic though Carshalton etc it is a much longer journey to go that extra mile or two. Sutton from Kingston seems to be a much more common route, based on the number of boys I see on the X26 and 213 each morning.
The sports ground for SGS is in Cheam, the school have a coach to take boys there for games lessons once per week. Games is always a double or triple lesson to maximise the amount of time the boys get to spend playing sport rather than on the coach. However the Sports Hall for PE and the swimming pool are both onsite.
htm123

Post by htm123 »

Hi there, my DS is at SGS and I often travel to Kingston from Sutton on 213 with other Sutton mums for coffee mornings. The bus stop is just one minute walk away from SGS behind M&S and the journey is 50 minutes to Kingston High Street. There are many combinations of journey you can choose from, but you must try them yourself during schooldays. My DS knows a few boys travelling to Kingston from SGS but they said it is a very long and boring journey. Sports ground for SGS @ Northey Avenue...the boys are taken there by SGS coaches and mini buses. They are also returned to school on Games days if they wish, and the school offers them the option of getting off at certain bus stops and train stations, the boys can also be collected from the sports ground by parents or they can take the 470 bus from the bottom of the road just outside the sports grounds and travel to Cheam or Ewell Village where they can actually change bus and make their way to Kingston. Boys at SGS will do football, swimming and athletics in Year 7 I think. Each class has 27 children and yes, pastoral care is brilliant. All the boys are getting on really well in my DS's class and I can see groups walking together to school and from school. The public transport is really good, however, I did have to rush my son twice this term to the train station because of some 'burst water pipes problems' & road works near Sutton city centre.
Kingston mum

Post by Kingston mum »

Thank you , I looked at the x26 bus timetable and the 7 20 from Kingston bus station should get to WCGS at 8 20 but I guess this is on paper :|
We will have to take the bus one morning next week to try the route but being half term I think it will be a better run than on a normal school day .
For SGS I understand that 213 might be better as it runs more often. I have also heard from parents that some boys prefer to take the early bus and do homework / have breakfast at school as it means less time spent in traffic but an earlier start which for teenagers might be a problem . Do the schools open early then?
htm123

Post by htm123 »

Gates open at 7:30 am, Computer Room 7:45am but very busy and the library has a timetable which you will need to check.
The canteen is open early for breakfast and hot drinks but not sure how early.
pooziepuzzle

Post by pooziepuzzle »

Hi my DS is at WCGS. I can't help with the travelling as he comes from a different area but he does travel an hour to school, as do many boys.

We are very happy with the school, my DS settled very quickly, the pastoral care is brilliant. The boys have a 4 day induction during the summer term of year 6 to settle them in to the school. They have made friends before they start. Boys are normally placed in house groups with other boys from the same area/with the same postcode which means they straight away have friends to travel with.

The school is well situated with lots of outdoor space- they have a large sports hall and play both games and PE on site. They love their rugby and cricket in the summer, having pitches on site. They are situated next to the park and also use that. They also do table tennis, athletics, basketball and some football, not much.

There are lots of clubs- lots of sports, drama, debating, chess amongst many others. The school actively encourage participation in extra curricular activities.

The school has a nice friendly feel with an active PTFA- they organise many events- quiz nights, murder mystery nights , music events etc. this really helps form relationships with other parents at the school.

Academically my DS is thriving. Communication is good from the school. Very happy to be part of WCGS.
newbie14

Post by newbie14 »

My son is in WCGS and he takes the X26 from New Malden.He says that there are about 15 boys in the current Year 7 batch from the Kingston/ New Malden area who take the X26 to WCGS.

They tend to put boys from the same area into the same class - this works very well because they get to know each other on the bus!

We are very happy with the school, more importantly, he is! Small class sizes, very approachable teachers, parent workshops ( maths, mfl etc), very quick response times when you need help, great after school clubs ( he is into debating, chess, basketball, cricket....and a few subject related lunch time clubs, as well), Latin, impressive grounds-- all in all a great school!

Academically, it is quite fast paced in the beginning as they do the KS3 in 2 years so they have time to focus on the depth of knowledge required for the GCSEs.

My son gets the 7.10 bus from New Malden and is in school between 7.40-7.50 am. He is usually back by 4.15 pm. Hope this helps!
kashifzs

Post by kashifzs »

In a similar dilemma: have to decide between WCGS and SGS as first/second choice. We live in Streatham so time wise the journey isn't too bad as the difference is only two stops on the train. DS wants to go to WCGS as his friend has put it as their first choice however, my partner didn't get a good vibe off it and is leaning towards SGS. I would probably prefer SGS but am apprehensive about the area its in - I don't think Sutton has a particularly good reputation. Anyone have any opinions. We are really confused :?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Sutton hasn't good reputation???
Area people would be shocked. :D :D :D
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

I'm just constantly astounded that people have their children sit entrance tests for schools they haven't visited.

I personally wouldn't do that journey on a daily basis, the route from Kingston via New Malden, Worcester Park is heavily congested and delays are long and frequent.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now