Unsure of how to correctly fill in SCAF form with preference

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
newbie10

Unsure of how to correctly fill in SCAF form with preference

Post by newbie10 »

I have a dilemma with how best to fill in the SCAF form for my son. He has passed the Kent Test.

We live in a village almost equidistant from 3 towns all offering grammar schools.

Our favourite school (school A) is slightly further away than the other 2 and unfortunately we live approximately 1.5 miles outside of their usual catchment area (based on the last few years allocations).
I have spoken to the admissions dept at the school and have been told by them that it would definitely still be worthwhile to list them on our SCAF. However, it is almost 100% certain we would not get allocated a place in the first round and we would have to appeal to get son in based on distance grounds. (As a reference, close neighbours have been allocated a place after appeal in previous years, although I'm aware that we may not be as successful).

School B is our second preference and in a different town. Son would almost certainly get a place in the first round if we placed it at number 1 on the SCAF.

My dilemma is however, if I put School A (our favourite) at Number 1 on the list knowing full well we're unlikely to gain a place on distance grounds, would I then be jeopardising our chances at School B as there will likely be enough applicants putting it at Number 1 to fill the available places.

My worry is that we would then be allocated School 3 (in town 3). This is our least favourite but is technically the closest to where we live and still had vacancies after the first round allocations last year.

I know that you're supposed to list schools in your genuine order of preference but I'm worried that we'd be pretty much shooting ourselves in the foot to do this knowing we'll likely to have to appeal to get into our favourite school based on distance.

Anyone have any advice?
mad?

Re: Unsure of how to correctly fill in SCAF form with prefer

Post by mad? »

Put the schools in our true order of preference. You will not be jeopardising your chances at school B, who will not know that you did not put them first, as if you do not qualify for school A school B becomes your first choice and so on. You can go on the waiting list for school A if offered school B. Good luck.
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Put them in your order of preference. Where you put them has no bearing on whether You get a place, the schools don't know where you put them. You will be given the highest school on your list that can offer you a place.

In your case, you are likely not to get A, so will get B as that will automatically become your first choice. As you will have been refused A you can them appeal for it. If you put B first, you will not have been refused a place.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Newbie10, if you are offered your 2nd preference, you should formally accept it so that the place is guaranteed; that does not prevent you from appealing and/or going on the waiting list for your top school, nor does it affect your chances of success in respect of an appeal or later round offer from the waiting list.
newbie10

Post by newbie10 »

Thanks everyone. That's all really helpful. I'm feeling much more reassured about the right course of action now. This all feels like a bit of a minefield!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now