Posting Birmingham Scores: Please read!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Posting Birmingham Scores: Please read!

Post by Sally-Anne »

Please could posters whose children have achieved scores of over 250 (a safe bet in anyone's terms), please only post "250+", instead of the actual score?

We know you are proud of your children's achievement, but I'm sorry to say that every year we see a lot of first-time posters on here whose one and only post is to tell the world their child's high score.

For those members whose children are borderline, and face the long wait until 1st March, or even beyond, to find out if their child has a GS place, that can start to grate very quickly.

Thank you!

Sally-Anne
Optimist

Re: Posting Birmingham Scores: Please read!

Post by Optimist »

My dc did not score anywhere close to the magic 250 mark, but I would have like to seen parents being allowed to post actual scores above 250. Who cares whether they are lurkers or not. It is supposed to be a forum, where ideas, facts and opinions flow freely Or is it?
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I feel inclined to agree with Sally-Anne. It is heartbreaking when your child doesn't achieve the magic score and to see proud parents parading their fantastic scores is difficult. This IS a forum but it is (on the whole) a supportive and helpful forum; "bragging rights" might be good and acceptable on other forums but not so helpful on here :-(
mad?

Post by mad? »

BucksBornNBred wrote:I feel inclined to agree with Sally-Anne. It is heartbreaking when your child doesn't achieve the magic score and to see proud parents parading their fantastic scores is difficult. This IS a forum but it is (on the whole) a supportive and helpful forum; "bragging rights" might be good and acceptable on other forums but not so helpful on here :-(
I agree, this is a forum where hopefully everyone gives and receives support. Those who feel unable to contain themselves can go to facebook, if nothing else so that 'friends' can decide to click 'hide posts like this'. :)
mad?
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

mad? wrote: I agree, this is a forum where hopefully everyone gives and receives support.
You are right mad? !!! Once you have received so much advice from this site and the wonderful regulars/moderators you feel obliged (in a nice way) to try and help others in any way you can :-)
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

It's a pity. You (collectively) appear to be correlating celebrating high scoring success as "gloating". We didn't have a brilliant score, but I would still like to see high scorers highlighting their scores. Indulging those who have not scored so well by hiding high scores from them seems patronising. It also helps everyone to put scores into my perspective as we can see the full spread of scores.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Optimist wrote:It's a pity. You (collectively) appear to be correlating celebrating high scoring success as "gloating". We didn't have a brilliant score, but I would still like to see high scorers highlighting their scores. Indulging those who have not scored so well by hiding high scores from them seems patronising. It also helps everyone to put scores into my perspective as we can see the full spread of scores.
It's not really like that though. We love to see success stories and happy endings; it is just that some DP do come on just once to boast about a high score. How does that help anyone on here?
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

its hypocrisy because very comfortable passes 235 - 250 make up the majority of posts. So it is complete bragging. no one comes on and says yeh erm my son got 159, but he tried. Some do around the average usually as an expression of sadness or a request for help.

But they are still running the gauntlet of the obvious pass marks, i refer to.

The only people thus getting upset are the majority posters, who are themselves telling the world they nabbed / bagged a place. So it continues. if a post comes on yeh my dd got 286 and anyone below 282 must be a dumbo octopus, then surely moderators could delete.

Either allow or don't, but lets dispense with the farce that 240 ish not about yippee my son has got a place
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

PP, I hope I have understood your post clearly.

We don't allow posting of actual scores in areas where score make no difference at all to the allocation process.

We do allow posting of scores where they are an integral part of the allocation process.

We ask people in those areas to post with sensitivity.

And if you think that Mods should be here 24/7 to police all of that, you need to walk a mile in my shoes!

TBH, what gets all of us are the people who make a first post "Johnnny got [insert fabulous pass mark]. Yay!!!"

And that is all we ever hear from them; not even a question about the likelihood of gaining a place.

They may, of course, have been lurking here for months or years, and feel that they are very much part of the community as a result, but we can't know that, and such posts annoy everyone.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I personally don't mind people posting the big scores. It makes no difference, because

1) if they are telling the truth they must know they are in a very small minority to have gained that
2) If they are making it up, then happy days to them.

The ones that carry the most weight (in terms of likelihood of being true) are the 235 - 250's. In terms of KE, these all pretty much confirm a place at all GS's in Birmingham, but those with the highest cut offs. The data showed that these posts were the most common, freely posted as they are deemed not insensitive.

All I am saying is it seems weird to me that a very high scoring post is deemed sensitive, but a post with much the same impact, which near enough confirms a guaranteed place, is not deemed insensitive.

Having been fully embroiled in the roller coaster of fears and up and downs, much of it played out here on this forum and in particular the Bham one, I get the elation of getting a very high score and the need to hold ones self back, when others are clearly absorbing the ramifications of bad news. At the same time whilst we did not crash and burn on the most recent results, they are closer enough for the wire, for me to have been feeling just like most of the others.

I really do think it should be either no posting scores or posting scores. But I am a voice of one and if the consensus is such that is fine, by me. I am cognisant that some people on the forum go back quite a considerable time and these rules have emerged from a fair amount of experience, so perhaps being relatively new to the game (and having to plan a campaign for the next two years), I will defer to that greater experience and the difficult judgement that needs to be made, that keeps all participants happy.

Hope that is cool.