Sutton grammar appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
surrey parents

Sutton grammar appeal

Post by surrey parents »

HI all
I have a ds who didn't pass sgs and missed out by 11 marks. He found the stage 2 maths paper extremely hard and this mark let him down. We were thinking of appealing this decision. Is it worth a shot? Can anyone post up links to past appeals please?

Also would the school remark his paper if we requested it?

Thanks
Inthezone

Re: Sutton grammar appeal

Post by Inthezone »

Hi sorry to hear you missed out but what would you base the appeal on? My DS missed out on Wilsons and SGS by 1 point for both! This is incredibly frustrating but we are unable to ask for a recount and in reality those at the cutoff point will probably not even get a place and be on the waiting list. If any knowledgable and experienced members tell us otherwise I don't think we can appeal just because they didn't pass or finish the maths paper.
It's incredibly disappointing and wish your DS well, has he passed any other GS's?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

surrey parents wrote:HI all
I have a ds who didn't pass sgs and missed out by 11 marks. He found the stage 2 maths paper extremely hard and this mark let him down. We were thinking of appealing this decision. Is it worth a shot? Can anyone post up links to past appeals please?

Also would the school remark his paper if we requested it?

Thanks

Hi - there is a lot of info about appeals in general here : http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

Yes you can appeal in the sense that you have the right to appeal. To do so you must list the school on the CAF even though you know for certain that he will not qualify. This is because you cannot appeal to a school unless they have rejected your request for a place and, until March, this has not technically happened. If you never apply to them then they have never rejected you either.
Whether the appeal is likely to be successful or not is another question. As part of the appeal process, most schools will double check the marks and submit that with their case. The parents' case needs to prove that their child is of selective ability with lots of evidence to back up the assertion that the 11+ result is completely out of kilter with actual ability and expected outcome.
Families do win grammar school places on appeal every year for children who did not pass the 11+ but obviously you would need a very good case to get to that stage and generally, the further away you are from the qualifying score, the harder it becomes to submit a strong enough case.
surrey parents

Post by surrey parents »

Thanks for all the replies. Inthezone I'm shocked that your ds missed out by just 1 mark. And I can see your point tbh that so many boys pass and still don't get a place . I don't have any grounds for appeal but am still considering it because it won't do any harm other than waSting some of my time .

My ds didn't take the Wilson second stage because it's a ridiculous commute for us. I an considering putting Wallington as my number 1 choice but I have no idea how he scored in stage 1 . On the scores it says he got high 90's which I'm unsure about. Is that good?
Does anybody know what these scores mean?
Tia
newto11+

Post by newto11+ »

Where did they mention abt marks or gave indication of marks in their results mail? we got a mail with the outcome of set and then letter from WCGS headteacher saying he passed.Did I miss anything?
Emma14

Post by Emma14 »

Hi,
I have received an email from Sutton Grammar with breakdown of the scores.
60% of Selective Eligibility Test (English)
60% of Selective Eligibility Test (Maths)
90% of Second Stage English Test
90% of Second Stage Maths Test

All the final numbers are given not add up arithmatically, any idea how the score is calculated?

Emma
surrey parents

Post by surrey parents »

newto11+ we were given a breakdown of our ds's marks because he failed the second stage of sutton grammar. You wouldn't have that information if your ds passed. Hope that helps
newto11+

Post by newto11+ »

Sorry surrey parents,thought those scores are for WCGS. I hope your DS gets his first preference.
Good Luck.
Bb2

Post by Bb2 »

Hi Surrey parents. I'm sorry to hear that your DS did not pass SGS (though he was so close) but it's fantastic that he made the WCGS cut. I'm not sure what marks SGS shared with you , so can't comment. Can I ask, was it one overall mark for SGS or did they break down the scores further?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now