Commuting from Westcliff to London? (parent, not child!)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Settembrini

Commuting from Westcliff to London? (parent, not child!)

Post by Settembrini »

Could any of you shed some light on what commuting from Westcliff/Southend into London is like?

We currently live in Redbridge, ds could get a place at Ilford County High School but we would also consider applying for WHSB and move to Westcliff if he got in, since we wouldn't mind leaving London at all and it seems a great school!

Dh would still have to commute by train to the City (near St Paul's), he starts work at about 8.45am and leaves at 6.15pm. I'd particularly like to know whether or not there are a lot of delays usually, and if you can get a seat from Chalkwell in the morning? And on the way back? Thanks!
ToadMum

Re: Commuting from Westcliff to London? (parent, not child!)

Post by ToadMum »

I haven't commuted regularly for nearly four years, but I used to get the 0700 from Chalkwell with no problems getting a seat. The c2c line is actually one of the (if not the) most reliable rail lines in the country. There are rumours viu we may be getting new trains with fewer seats and a greater standing capacity, though.

What sort of budget are you thinking of?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
JUSTPOPPY

Post by JUSTPOPPY »

I commute from Leigh on Sea. Moved here 4 years ago from Redbridge. Its a great line - very few delays and plenty of faster trains during rush hour. The timetable is changing at christmas time but my understanding is that the new trains with less seats and more standing room won't be used at the Southend end of the line but instead used for trains starting closer to London. I always get a seat both ways both to and from Fenchurch Street.
Settembrini

Post by Settembrini »

Thank you Toadmum and Justpoppy! You mean budget for houses? I had a look on Rightmove and it looks like we would have an extra bedroom in Westcliff so that's a huge bonus. :D
Justpoppy, what time do you usually get the train at Fenchurch Street? Sorry for all the questions, it's just that dh really wouldn't want to move if he would have to stand for the whole journey every day... Which I totally understand.
JUSTPOPPY

Post by JUSTPOPPY »

I get the 7.55 from leigh in the morning which gets me into Fenchurch street at about 8.45. My office is really close to the station so I don't have an onward commute once I get to London. I always get a seat. I don't do standing!!! :lol: On the way home I get either the 6.05 or the 6.21 again, always get a seat. Get back into leigh about 7pm. I used to leave earlier and get the 5pm which is a super fast one and that did tend to be quite busy but was worth standing as it got to LoS in 37 minutes. The trains are about every 5-10 minues in rush hour so if one is busy its no problem just waiting for the next one. Its a much much better line than the one into liverpool street which I used to get when I lived in Redbridge. There were always problems and delays on that line.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Hello. Dh and I work in London and commute from chalkwell. We both love the C2C and much prefer it to Abelio Anglia, especially the air conditioned trains in the summer :>) Not to mention it is cheaper.

I work in Covent Garden so walk to bank and take the central line to carry on to Holborn. My Dh works an 8 minute walk from Fenchurch street.

The best thing is arriving at chalkwell and looking out onto the sea, especially when the tide is in 8)

My DH never has a problem getting a seat, and he works traditional hours. I work shift patterns and never have a problem either and don't mind the extra stops on the off peak services.

Definitely get more house for your pound down here...
Settembrini

Post by Settembrini »

Thank you pushymother and justpoppy, really good to know the commute isn't all that bad! Now 'all' I have to do is convince hubby (who has just talked to a couple of collegues who said commuting to London is AWFUL and he should never do it)... The good thing is that we could put WHSB first on the application form and because ds wouldn't get in straight away, we'd have some time to think about it all while he's on the waiting list.
Thanks for all your helpful replies!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now