Not Suitable for Grammar School!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

,'Gerbils',

Not Suitable for Grammar School!

Post by ,'Gerbils', »

Need urgent help, got the result with the dreaded sentence of none suitability, cannot agree with this as he just missed by 1 point.

Results for Kent were:

Agg: 361

Maths 120
Reasoning 136
English 105

The results show a decent overall score but for the English not getting more than 106.

What to do - ask for a remark?
Start an appeal, if so, what should We do beginning with what's my first step?

Please Please Help!
Etienne

Re: Not Suitable for Grammar School!

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
what's my first step?
Why not begin with .......
..... "Start here":
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You've a lot of reading to do!
Once you've finished, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Gerbils that seems very unfair! Do you know if the Headteacher made an appeal (as they can with the Kent test, whether in or out of county)? I presume you'd had this info for a while as results were out a couple of weeks ago. As I understand it your main route is to put down a grammar school on your CAF, be rejected and then appeal making sure you have lots of evidence that attainment is normally of a high level.
,'Gerbils',

Post by ,'Gerbils', »

PettswoodFiona wrote:Gerbils that seems very unfair! Do you know if the Headteacher made an appeal (as they can with the Kent test, whether in or out of county)? I presume you'd had this info for a while as results were out a couple of weeks ago. As I understand it your main route is to put down a grammar school on your CAF, be rejected and then appeal making sure you have lots of evidence that attainment is normally of a high level.
Thank you for the replies, I have been investigating and came across the Kent Council page where it appeared to say what you have said.

The teachers, especially the Head are very unhelpful, they appeared to be telling me to forget the idea; do not understand this attitude, surely a child entering Grammar School from their School would be a positive point, when their School begins to trawl for future Students!

Thank you all for the encouragement, I have read much of the information via the link and have decided on the following course of action.

Make a new list of preferred Schools, 3 Grammar and 3 Comprehensive, get those in before deadline of 31st via online selection.

Talk to the Head and explain that She will be named as our witness since we have the right to do this.

Speak with his class Teacher and engage her help by getting him more English Language based work and for home much of the same without ignoring the our usual work.

Get his Class Teacher to help produce good records of his English work from past till appeal time.

He only lost out by a single point which does not sit well, I'm sure he can get that back in no time as the targeted work should show a marked increase in his work for English.

When its appeal day, answer questions and hope for the best.

Please can anyone clear this up for us, the Kent Council site says that appeals should be written to the individual schools we had selected; does that mean we have to attend three different appeal hearings?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

does that mean we have to attend three different appeal hearings?
Yes - normally a separate appeal for each school.
Etienne
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Be careful about arranging extra English work, it should be his usual level of work that is looked at - if you start having extra English support this supports the fact he is struggling in that area. Or that is my understanding at least.
AAE3

Post by AAE3 »

Between March next year when offers are out and just before your appeal date, obtain a letter/statement from your headteacher showing your dc's current levels and predicted SATs level. The aim being to show an expected attainment of (at least) what used to be level 5B and above in maths & English. This is the advice given by someone with responsibility for admissions (I cant remember his title) at one of the grammars we were looking at. My son fell short by a few marks in English and scored well in the other areas, I sent the grammar sch my son's results the response was it is promising and worth an appeal, however it is subject to places remaining and the appeal panel being satisfied the child will not struggle in English
MrGrimes

Post by MrGrimes »

Primary schools no longer use the old levels (4A, B C etc), but rather now have a more generic below, meets or above expectations. This doesnt translate at all to the old level system.

If this is the case, how would one present evidence to an appeal panel where previously the levels would have been used?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If this is the case, how would one present evidence to an appeal panel where previously the levels would have been used?
One would present the evidence exactly as one received it! :)
So, for current Y6 pupils, the old levels should be used up to Y5. Appeal panels will be quite happy with this - it's what they're familiar with!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now