Questions about Grammar schools and catchment areas

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Svet

Questions about Grammar schools and catchment areas

Post by Svet »

Dear All, I am trying to absorb all the information available about the 11 + process, and I am slightly confused about how the selective (grammar) schools selection work. Although they are based on test results, they all also have on their pages information which indicates that they give priority to local children. Yet, I see based on various posts that a lot of children travel a long way to these schools / apply to many - often quite far away from each other (Bexley / Orpington). Can someone please provide some realistic view on how material the proximity is? For e.g. if I currently live in another borough, how much are the chances of my children reduced compared to the local children? Many thanks in advance for all your thoughts. :)
PettswoodFiona

Re: Questions about Grammar schools and catchment areas

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Having got DD through Kent, Bromley and Bexley this year I, like quite a lot of other parents on here feel like I should have a PhD in grammar entrance! It is confusing.

In short:

the superselectives are by score. The non-superselective schools that require a pass will have other over subscription criteria including siblings and distance.

In depth:

Bexley test the top 180 scorers have the right to choose whichever of the Bexley grammars they want irrespective of distance. Not all elect to use this top score as they have sat in other regions. Those outside of the top 180 need to get a pass which is revealed on results day but is usually around 215. This does not guarantee a place - you are then subject to their oversubscription criteria, the key one being distance which is published in the Bexley admissions booklet each year.

Bromley (Newstead and St Olaves) select on score. For Newstead you have to be in a nine mile radius to sit the test. Cut-off mark on national offer day has typically been 225, shuffling down to around 218 by September. But this changes depending on how many high scorers have put it as their choice. St Olaves have a two stage test and anyone in the entire world can sit the first stage test.

Kent: has a complex system of pass and superselectives, in-county and out of county. I won't go into it here as it isn't the right forum but many in our area also sit Kent tests. The most popular being Judd, Dartford & Skinners for Boys, Tonbridge, Dartford for girls. Then the non-superselectives of Wilmington which have traditionally been in catchment for many in Bromley or Bexley.

What fun!
mum2him

Post by mum2him »

Thank you so much. I was thinking the same thing and I was confuse about the distance as well. It's clearer now. :)
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

One thing I would add is that what is true today re. preference for local children, does change over time, so it's worth keeping up with the schools' admissions policies which are easily accessible on their websites.

For example, Sutton Grammar used to 'reserve' the last 15 places for local children, now it's the first 75 for which they get priority. Nonsuch Girls (also Sutton) is a very sought after selective school and it also gives priority to local children (a certain number of places). Tiffin Boys in Kingston in certainly one of the 'superselectives' and it has a 'priority area' (in effect, a catchment area) of 14 km radius from school. So it does depend...
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now