GCSE Intensive Revision Courses

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Me2010

GCSE Intensive Revision Courses

Post by Me2010 »

Hi,

I wondered whether anyone has any experience of intensive revision courses for GCSE. I am looking for Physics, English and RS and we seem to be doing alright in other subjects. I have had a look around the internet and come across Justin Craig and would be really interested to hear whether anyone had used them and if predicted grades were improved upon.

Many thanks,
Tolstoy

Re: GCSE Intensive Revision Courses

Post by Tolstoy »

I would be interested hearing about these as DC is having a problem with P&E.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What boards and what books are you doing for English? DG
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Wouldn't a few sessions with a local tutor focussing on particular areas be more efficient? Justin Criag are expensive, I think.
scary mum
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

Thank you - it is AQA for English I believe. I have thought about a local tutor but really wanted a big push with a very experienced teacher to try and boost grades. She is very capable, top set in a grammar school but will barely open a book to revise and I find it very frustrating. I thought Justin Craig was very expensive too so I was hoping for some good reviews to make it worth while spending.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Have you asked the school? Most schools offer revision/lunchtime help sessions and they may know local people they can recommend. I would avoid an agency like this.
copella

Post by copella »

Must say I agree with g55 these agencies take money from anxious parents and can probably offer nothing a conversation with the class teacher cannot help with. When my ds was struggling a bit with science last year I emailed his teachers and they pointed me to information on the school's student Internet site I had not been aware of. They offered to go over papers and meet with my ds after school. Talk to the school as individual teachers often offer more than just the advertised revision lessons.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink, however much you spend :)
scary mum
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

My dd turned her attitude around recently when she understood that her GCSEs will define her for some time to come, and this is her last chance to show what she can do in I.e. English which she won't do at A level. It really got her goat that her teachers' lacklustre assessments months before the actual exam will also determine her next moves, whether to set, A level choice, or fresh sixth form, when she thinks she can just ace it at the end. Maybe she can but by then the hand is basically dealt, our plans will be gelled and hard to reverse.
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

Thank you all. I am hoping she too will turn her attitude around. What is it with girls who spend so long doing lovely colour co-ordinated revision timetables! I have spoken to friends with children higher up the school and I understand there are Easter revision classes held in school which is good to know. Plan B is a residential course in Bristol at Clifton College if it all gets too tense. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now