Choices, Choices and even more choices .... Thank you

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
arry

Choices, Choices and even more choices .... Thank you

Post by arry »

After much deliberation of choosing between our local grammar school Bishop Veseys and KE Camphill boys schools which involved trial journeys from Sutton Coldield to King Edwards of 1hour plus, I would like to thank all the Forum members for their generous words of support and advice in helping make a the choice for our DS we feel comfortable with long term.
nervousmom

Re: Choices, Choices and even more choices .... Thank you

Post by nervousmom »

Glad you've made a decision you are happy with.

Out of interest, where did you choose?
arry

Post by arry »

Both grammar schools are exceptional in terms of academia and fulfilling the students potential by creating a genuine interest in learning, I originally had contemplated KE Camphill as DS had done better than expected as the smaller pupil intake,leafy tranquil campus and consistent high percentage of A*/A grades appealed more so than the local Bishop Veseys

Taking into account the arduous journey involving bus/train/bus which would make it a longer day than I would like for my DS to enable him to have a healthy study/home life balance, we decided on Bishop Vesey considering a shorter journey and also the exciting prospect of the £2million investment in the new dedicated Physics/Engineering Centre.

We actually looked at various options before making the final decision based on listing all the advantages and performances of each school before making an informed choice we feel happy with as our DS wasn't bothered on which school.

In fact, we used a white board to list all the points of each school from subjects offered, academic results, travel options, pastoral activities, sports, music, languages and travel buddy before making the final decision.

Hope it helps as having too much choice can be challenging too ☺️

I hope other parents take a long term view on what's best choice for their DC.
arry

Post by arry »

Both grammar schools are exceptional in terms of academia and fulfilling the students potential by creating a genuine interest in learning, I originally had contemplated KE Camphill as DS had done better than expected as the smaller pupil intake,leafy tranquil campus and consistent high percentage of A*/A grades appealed more so than the local Bishop Veseys

Taking into account the arduous journey involving bus/train/bus which would make it a longer day than I would like for my DS to enable him to have a healthy study/home life balance, we decided on Bishop Vesey considering a shorter journey and also the exciting prospect of the £2million investment in the new dedicated Physics/Engineering Centre.

We actually looked at various options before making the final decision based on listing all the advantages and performances of each school before making an informed choice we feel happy with as our DS wasn't bothered on which school.

In fact, we used a white board to list all the points of each school from subjects offered, academic results, travel options, pastoral activities, sports, music, languages and travel buddy before making the final decision.

Hope it helps as having too much choice can be challenging too ☺️

I hope other parents take a long term view on what's best choice for their DC.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

Hi arry, our son is hoping to go there too ( score 223), maybe see you at the year 7 curry evening if they do that next year too.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Now that your choice has been made, you will be able to sleep well and not look back!
Wishing all the best to your DS! :D
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Congratulations on getting into a great school. We live in Sutton and have 2 girls at Scgsg. Yesterday DD2 had a friend round from primary who chose Handsworth. She has to get up at 6.00, to get to the bus for 7.00 and doesn't get home until 5.00. My DD is very pleased she doesn't have to leave the house 'til nearly 8.00 and is home at 4.15. It makes such a difference.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

booellesmum wrote:Congratulations on getting into a great school. We live in Sutton and have 2 girls at Scgsg. Yesterday DD2 had a friend round from primary who chose Handsworth. She has to get up at 6.00, to get to the bus for 7.00 and doesn't get home until 5.00. My DD is very pleased she doesn't have to leave the house 'til nearly 8.00 and is home at 4.15. It makes such a difference.
Why would anyone choose a school that far away when there is a comparable school so close :roll:

My eldest has to leave the house every school day at 0650 not to return until 1715. He never moans about it and genuinely seems to enjoy the journey being with his friends but it saddens me every single time he has to leave, especially now with the dark mornings and evenings :cry:
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Happy dad wrote:
Why would anyone choose a school that far away when there is a comparable school so close :roll:
+1 - We really think WGHS is marginally better than KEVIHS, but its a two hour trip each way, so we will not take it unless no other option arises
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Happy dad wrote:
booellesmum wrote:Congratulations on getting into a great school. We live in Sutton and have 2 girls at Scgsg. Yesterday DD2 had a friend round from primary who chose Handsworth. She has to get up at 6.00, to get to the bus for 7.00 and doesn't get home until 5.00. My DD is very pleased she doesn't have to leave the house 'til nearly 8.00 and is home at 4.15. It makes such a difference.

My eldest has to leave the house every school day at 0650 not to return until 1715. He never moans about it and genuinely seems to enjoy the journey being with his friends but it saddens me every single time he has to leave, especially now with the dark mornings and evenings :cry:
It all depends on the school and what you view as comparable.We live in Walsall and whilst we have QM girls on our doorstep we felt our choices were between WGHS , SCGSG and KE Handsworth all were equally near or far however we viewed it(7 miles in each direction). QM girls is a school my elder brothers daughter attended as well as his son in the sixth form and my elder brother in laws eldest daughter.They all left about 15 or 16 years ago and since then its been our view it is not as comparable as other grammar schools although it is still the second best school in the Walsall area on academic results and University outcomes.If anybody should ask I had at the last count 16 nieces and nephews as well as my own two(all families no bigger than 3 to 5 in total). We all make decisions based on our own experiences,what we want from a school and what a school can provide and its current outcomes.

There are no right or wrong outcomes as a lot is still dependent on the child and his family in whatever school they attend. if you want to succeed if you have ability you will get so far,if you work hard you will get so far,if you have ability and work hard you will go far and beyond most people.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln