Negative Headteacher's comment in Selection review form

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wishy

Negative Headteacher's comment in Selection review form

Post by wishy »

My son scored 116 in 11+ and has Levels 5A in Reading, 5C in Writing and 4A+ end of Y5. He had L3 in all his KS1 SATs, was on the G + T register from Y2 and was one of only 4 children out of 120 chosen to write for the school newspaper. We are going for selection review and when discussed with the Head and Deputy they appeared very encouraging.

When we were handed the form with the "Headteacher's" comments we were horrified! He had 2:2 but they had written very little about him, no specific mention of any good points and a comment after mentioning Maths saying, "However, his concentration is poor when it comes to both independent and group tasks" after already saying he was "working at listening more carefully". Later they said they recommend him, that he is hard working, achieves well and has made "pleasing progress". But "we hope that careful consideration of the merits of this review will result in an appropriate result for him" - doesn't sound too positive either!

He can be a bit chatty at times, but he is in top set Maths and always has been and the comment bore no resemblance to what his reports have said since Y3 and the comments made to us in Parents Evening only two weeks before! I know the person who was sorting out the forms and she was annoyed that day with me about something. What can I do to get it made fair and accurate?

We have sent very strongly worded emails and are awaiting a response. You would think school would want him to get in. He is well-behaved, has 100% attendance, yes, he doesn't always listen as well as he should or is a bit chatty, but he is very academic and even volunteered to help with the resolving disputes with the younger children for 2 lunchtimes a week. Really gutted with the school!

We only have till 6th November to get form in so if they won't change it any action against the school, e.g. writing to MP, County, legal action possibly, will be too late for him to have a fair chance at review!
Last edited by wishy on Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Etienne

Re: Negative Headteacher's comment in Selection review form

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

Very sorry to hear what has happened.

It may not help that schools have been told not to change the headteacher summary sheet in response to parental pressure.
(You could legitimately ask for any inaccuracies to be corrected, but it's not so easy to ask for something that is "better").
..... writing to MP, County, legal action possibly .......
None of these measures would get you anywhere, I'm afraid. You'll just be told to take your concerns to an appeal.
(They may omit to tell you that, if you've already been through a review, you'll have the hurdle of 'fair, consistent & objective' to overcome.)

The grammar schools are probably full of academic boys who are chatty and lacking in concentration! :?
Etienne
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Etienne wrote:
The grammar schools are probably full of academic boys who are chatty and lacking in concentration! :?
I like that. What do people think is the ideal grammar school? I am imagining a classroom full of obedient drones! Urghh.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

"...where I have been a hard-working and loyal staff member for 3 years..."

Whilst this is great, I hope you are not thinking that because of this they should have been more effusive about your son!! In all honesty, it has NO bearing on this process! Otherwise it would be completely unfair to the parent in the local greengrocer's who had been a hard-working and loyal staff member for 3 years...
thefirs

Post by thefirs »

The grammar schools are probably full of academic boys who are chatty and lacking in concentration! :?[/quote]

best quote ive read on the forum yet - it is very true !
wishy

Post by wishy »

Thank you for your comments everyone! They are helpful and useful.

And sorry, kenyancowgirl, I did not mean at all that my child should have some form of favouritism because I work at the school! The problem was the opposite. That's why I felt annoyed as well, not that I thought they should write him a better report than he deserved or than other kids because I work there. Apologies if that is how it came across.

I have just deleted some of this as I realise it gives away too much about my school and our identity!