Burnham grammar or Beaconsfield High?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bluesapphire

Burnham grammar or Beaconsfield High?

Post by bluesapphire »

Hi, DD didn't pass Berks 11+. Hv only two options of Burnham Grammar or Beaconsfield High. I will rephrase my question in two parts, which school do parents prefer amongst the two n why?

Since it is more or less the same time to commute from Langley in Slough. Any parents in similar situations who would like to communicate for travel to either of the schools or hv found something suitable that they would like to share?

We can arrange something like a car share for pick drop. This is for 2016 entry. If there r any parents already doing this route, it would be good to hear your inputs. Any coach facilities private or otherwise? This would help in filling the CAF too, so any inputs are most welcome. Thanks :)
scary mum

Re: Burnham grammar or Beaconsfield High?

Post by scary mum »

They are two very different schools - single gender vs mixed. Very affluent area vs less so. Very ethnically diverse vs less so. What would suit your DD? Does she want to do textiles? Not available at BGS (not sure if it still is at BHS). For what it's worth, we chose BGS but this is one case where you really, really need to visit - they are so different and only you & your DD can decide.
scary mum
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Didn't you visit them prior to the test. The open days were in September . If you did what did you think? Generally it's a gut feeling . Dollyxxx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Dollydripmat wrote:Didn't you visit them prior to the test. The open days were in September . If you did what did you think? Generally it's a gut feeling . Dollyxxx
Presumably not. They really are very different, and as you say, gut feeling. The CAF will have gone in yesterday I think, so all a bit late anyway! BGS had open days last week.
scary mum
mad?

Post by mad? »

What did you decide to do bluesapphire? Did you find the advice Dolly and Scary took the timeout to give you interesting/useful/anything at all?
mad?
bluesapphire

Post by bluesapphire »

Hi, Thanks everyone specially ScaryMum for her suggestions. I liked both the schools tbh. DD didn't visit Bgs as it was open morning, besides she has loads of friends opting for Bhs so we decided to go with Bhs.
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

My reply is a bit late as I don't visit the site as often as I used to! I can however provide a little more info on Becky High as I have one daughter in Y11 and one in Y7. We are in catchment for both Becky High and Burnham Grammar.

It is my observation that Becky High has become more of an ethnic mix in the last couple of years. My children are mixed race with one looking white and the other brown. Both fit in!

Textiles is still strong at the school btw and something my younger daughter is interested in. Both my daughters love drama and this is one reason my eldest chose the school as there was no option to do gcse drama at Burnham Grammar at that time (not sure if that is still the case).
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I believe this year's year 10s are the first to be able to do it & drama is improving all the time, but no, not as strong as BHS.
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now