Moving to Kent for grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jcampbell2000

Moving to Kent for grammar school

Post by jcampbell2000 »

Hello all,
My daughter has passed the Kent Test, and we have decided to move to Kent to ensure she gets a place at our preferred grammar school. However, we submitted our CAF through our current borough's LA. Does anyone know if this can be transferred to the Kent LA? Or would we have to go through the late admission's process once we have moved?
Thank you.
mumsdarling2

Re: Moving to Kent for grammar school

Post by mumsdarling2 »

If you have submitted the CAF (specifying the Kent schools in your order of preference) before the closing date in your borough then you won't need to go through late admission process. I have known parents who chose to move into Kent but before the closing date for CAF so as to not get into any trouble afterwards. As you are still in your LA, it would be worth asking the Kent Council about the deadline for change of address. What they don't like is people moving into a temporary home just to secure a place and then moving back.
tanu

Post by tanu »

On the same topic-if we move home in Kent ,do we just need to care about Kent cut-off day for change of address-preferred school being in Kent OR current council as well from where we filled in CAF and currently resides.

In my case-based in Croydon and they have 10th Dec as last day for change of address. Looking to move to kent.

Put another way-Do we need to meet date deadline of both the council or just the one which is your preferred first option school.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I have some friends who have done this but they rented a place in Kent and have their house under offer so it is all quite watertight to prove. Kent I think advised them they needed a utility bill in their name etc etc and they therefore had to move quick as it can take time for this to happen.
vinitasurya

Post by vinitasurya »

Do we know when we have to submit the utility bill etc as nothing was asked when we submitted the CAF online to the Kent borough
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

vinitasurya wrote:Do we know when we have to submit the utility bill etc as nothing was asked when we submitted the CAF online to the Kent borough
Is this KCC local Authority? ( I wasn't sure as you mentioned borough), is so their admissions team is very helpful, the best thing to do would be to e-mail or ring them.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

yoyo123 wrote:
vinitasurya wrote:Do we know when we have to submit the utility bill etc as nothing was asked when we submitted the CAF online to the Kent borough
Is this KCC local Authority? ( I wasn't sure as you mentioned borough), is so their admissions team is very helpful, the best thing to do would be to e-mail or ring them.
Yes Kent are very helpful so don't go on my hearsay but in case any use I gather from my friend it all needs to be submitted by the change of address deadline but sometimes getting bills etc can take a while to come through and they wanted to be able to prove they'd cut their ties with their old address hence setting wheels in motion very soon after the results came out.
sandra

Post by sandra »

Just for clarity - so, it is possible to write Kent test even if you are in another county and move into Kent once you get the results?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

sandra wrote:Just for clarity - so, it is possible to write Kent test even if you are in another county and move into Kent once you get the results?
Yes.

Some who are in commuting distance of a good Kent grammar school but not in a priority parish might hope for a superselective score and would qualify without having to move. Others who just pass or pass but are a long way away would need to move. Reality is few do move as they've either sat other tests or have other good local options. The window to move is tight and your situation needs to be watertight and will annoy the longstanding locals who you might end up edging out of a place. Moving house and a new school is also not ideal for many DCs, although home-ed for last term of Y6 seems to be catching on.
sandra

Post by sandra »

Thanks - so, is it applicable to all Kent grammar schools?

What is the time line to move into the area? When do they publish 11 plus results? Because the timeline is tight for moving in, I guess renting is an option as we will not have time to sell the current property in Surrey?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now