Selection Review Concerns

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kazb

Post by kazb »

My son missed the pass mark by 2 (119) marks and we are in the process of filling in the review form. Can anyone give some tips on how to put forward a pursuasive agrument.

We just received the head teachers comment on the selection giving him a 3.3, he has always been top sets but not mentioned in the report. Do we really have a chance of success? He was let down on the NVR.

Before the changes to the markings the teacher did say they expected him to get a level 6.

Reading Y2) 3C Y3) 3A Y4)4B Y5)M Y6 predicted)M

Writing Y2) 2B Y3)2A Y4)4C Y5) S Y6 Predicted) S

Maths Y2)3C Y3) 3A Y4) 4B Y5)S Y6 Predicted) S

S= Secure, M = Mastery

Please let me have your opinions and how to go forward with the review.

Thank you all very much.
Tolstoy

Re: Selection Review Concerns

Post by Tolstoy »

A 3:3 means recommended with reservations. Did the headteacher explain what the reservations were as this is what you need to tackle in your argument?

I am also unsure why your HT is using Ms and Ss when they could be using the Ds and Cs suggested on the form?

Looking at DC levels at the end of Y4 then DC was well on target to reach high levels 5s at the end of key stage 2 and I would probably stress that in your letter as those \ms and Ss look a little flimsy to me.

Do you have any CATS scores or reading/ spelling ages available to you?

Hopefully someone else with more experience can also advise.
kazb

Post by kazb »

Thank you Tolstoy for your quick response.

The headteacher confirmed that they do not undertake Cats test for the children, but will try and get a reading age result for the dc.

I believe that he got a 3.3 because of his behaviour in the past even though he has managed to turn it around. She mentioned that he doesn't focus all the time but has the potential. Based on what she has said I am wondering if i am wasting my time.

Thanks.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
I believe that he got a 3.3 because of his behaviour in the past even though he has managed to turn it around. She mentioned that he doesn't focus all the time but has the potential.
That would explain the '3' for attitude, but academic potential should be separate. She seems to be penalising him twice - telling you that he has academic potential, but downgrading the recommendation for academic potential because of attitude!
A 2:3 (or a 1:3, if he has lots of potential) might make more sense.

To help you decide how to proceed, have you done all the background reading?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=44245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • Hope you won't need our help, but we will be available if you should need assistance with reviews/appeals.
      Please do some reading first of all, before asking questions on the forum.
      Start here.

See also this thread.
Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
kazb

Post by kazb »

Thank you Etienne for replying. I thought the same thing as well i.e. penalising him twice for behaviour. She also did not use the recommended gradings ABC, so i dont know what effect it will have on the review.

I will now go through your links as suggested and get back to you with any queries.

Thanks again.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If she thinks the grammar schools are full of perfectly behaved boys, she is sadly mistaken! :?

Entry to grammar school is all about ability, not behaviour!
She also did not use the recommended gradings ABC
I think there will be a lot of confusion about that.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now