11+ tutor in Chelmsford - please advise

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kriskad

Post by Kriskad »

Hi,

Can somebody recommend a good 11+ tutor in Chelmsford please. How can you check the success rate of a tutor or what is the best way to compare and decide which tutor to choose.
I understand recommending is not allowed directly on the forum so please reach out on e-mail address removed by moderator, please contact by personal message

Many thanks in advance
Kristina
yoyo123

Re: 11+ tutor in Chelmsford - please advise

Post by yoyo123 »

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors or tutoring organisations (other than school/PTA and non-commercial organisations) to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' negative posts, seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members - check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) - who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:
  • • Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
KB

Post by KB »

In general terms the most important factor is whether your child is happy with the tutor. Someone who suits one child won't necessarily suit another. While the tutor needs to be sufficiently firm that the child does some work! it is unlikely to get the results you are after if its a constant battle or upset.

In terms of gettung recomendations it would probably help if you clarify if you have a son or daughter as the tests in Chelmsford are different for the boys and girls, or if a girl she will be taking the Colchester/Southend test as well.

For the CSSE test ( for other than Chelmsford girls)
the English and Maths is more generally relevant so while you want the focus to be on the test it can be less stressful if the lessons are enjoyed by your child as opportunity to be stretched and/or get targeted help with anything specific that they might be struggling with.

Success rates are as with all statistics rather tricky as you can't adjust for the starting level of the children. I would find out how much experience the tutor has and how well they understand the nature of the tests. If you talk to a few tutors you should find it easier to tell who is making sense.

The slight difficulty is that CCHS has introduced a new style of test recently and the nature of the CSSE has also changed recently. So the mere fact that a tutor has been going for 10 or 20 years doesnt mean they are up with the latest requirements.

We found that our children preferred one to one sessions with a tutor as they don't like a competitive environment but if your child is more confident then small group sessions are not only cheaper but can be less intense so suit some better.

The tutors we used were all honest about whether they thought our children were likely to score well enough to get a GS place. The one we took one of our children away from didn't believe they would be successful and the sessions weren't enjoyable or productive. However because the class teacher was convinced they were very bright we found a tutor with a different approach and they went from strength to strength.

Hope you find someone suitable who can help make the process as stress free as possible!
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

I used group tuition rather than individual. I don't have any experience of one to one so I can't compare. We were happy though and our son got a good result. We had regular parents meeting's where I was made aware of his progress and they said they would tell me if he wasn't suitable for the csse exam. However, I was quite sceptical about whether they really would as that would mean loss of revenue for them. I don't know. But I was more than happy and would use again for my other children if they decide they want to take the 11+.
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

You really don't need to pay a tutor. Get them reading a wide range of literature, and do a few practice papers over the summer. Worked for us

Good luck!
KB

Post by KB »

To be fair while the DIY approach is fine for some it doesn't work for everyone.
Parental situation, primary school provision, disposition of child, confidence of parents etc etc are all variables.
Some children will benefit from more time and structured support from.an 'outsider'.
Totally agree that no one should feel pressured into paying out for a tutor just because its the 'done thing'.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now