Independent schools after grammar exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kingston mum

Independent schools after grammar exams

Post by Kingston mum »

DS has his last grammar exam tomorrow at Tiffin and then he wants to try for some independent local schools like Hampton, KGS, Halliford as we are not sure of his results and we want to have more options. All very competitive schools and I understand that he will have to do VR/NVR on top of Maths and English. He will need some time off and then we will have to start with VR/NVR papers etc. I was wondering if is worth sitting the 13+ next year rather than 11+ now to give him some more time and also to prepare a bit more as we would like to apply for scholarship in art, drama which were put on hold whilst preparing for the grammar schools. Also we will save 2 years in fees which is significant for us. On the other hand I understand that is more difficult to get in at 13+ than at 11+ as there are less places and the prep schools are pushing hard in the last 2 years so the kids are 2 years ahead of state/ grammar school so his chances will be much lower to get in. It doesn't help that schools like Hampton don't allow sitting at 11 and 13+ so you have to choose which one to sit. I'm sure that there are many parents that have been through this can you please advise? Many thanks
Daogroupie

Re: Independent schools after grammar exams

Post by Daogroupie »

I would sit now while he is still focused and used to exams. 13 plus also introduces all the other subjects such as Latin, French, History, Geography and Science.

I know of plenty of students who are now busy working for the HBS exam on January 7th and others who are working towards Habs, Merchant Taylors, St Albans and NLCS.

What they have learnt for the state selectives will take them a long way towards doing well in these exams. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I agree with DG. It is better and far efficient to sit now for indies than at 13+.
J50

Post by J50 »

It is pretty rare (isn't it) for a primary pupil to enter at 13+, unless they leave primary at 11, go to prep school for 2 years and then enter at 13.

Most schools seem to operate that the 13+ entrants sit the 11+ paper as a pre-test and from that they are offered a place conditional on passing the Common Entrance papers in lots of subjects at 13+.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The only 13 plus students I have ever met or heard of have all come through prep schools.

Does anyone know of a 13 plus entrant from a state school? DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:The only 13 plus students I have ever met or heard of have all come through prep schools.

Does anyone know of a 13 plus entrant from a state school? DG
A local lad attending Westcliff High School for Boys got a place at Eton a couple of years ago.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Kingston mum

Post by Kingston mum »

I know of 3 children that got into the local comprehensive and for various reasons did not want to stay and got into private schools at 13+.
Although on the private schools website is mentioned that 13+ is for prep school children as a normal progression, I don't think they can stop children from state sector applying at 13+ otherwise the schools could be accused of discrimination I would have thought. The fact that they have less chances to get in compared to the prep school children is a different matter but surely everybody should be allowed to try?
J50

Post by J50 »

Kingston mum wrote:I know of 3 children that got into the local comprehensive and for various reasons did not want to stay and got into private schools at 13+.
Although on the private schools website is mentioned that 13+ is for prep school children as a normal progression, I don't think they can stop children from state sector applying at 13+ otherwise the schools could be accused of discrimination I would have thought. The fact that they have less chances to get in compared to the prep school children is a different matter but surely everybody should be allowed to try?

Yes it can be done, but there must be a lot of work outside of school in the first year or so to gear up for the Common Entrance 13+ exams. Then when you join the new school you will be behind in some of the work in some subjects, and need to catch up. Don't understand why you wouldn't do the 11+ now at those schools, I doubt the level of English and Maths required is above the Tiffin level. You have plenty of time to nail some VR technique. I can only speak of Hampton and KGS exams properly not Halliford (though this is undoubtedly easier than the others), and at Hampton there is some VR though it mainly requires vocab, and the VR paper at KGS last year was 'relatively easy'.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

+1

From our experience of DS few years ago, any one who has prepared well for Sutton SET and Tiffin tests, is in my opinion well prepared for any of independent schools' entrance test. Just need to be confident for the interview.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know of students who got in the 400's for DAO in September who then got scholarships for MT, Habs and St Albans in January. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now