Asked for practice paper results at appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hertsdad

Asked for practice paper results at appeal

Post by hertsdad »

Hello all

Well we had the appeal this afternoon. As everyone has said, the panel were very friendly and un-intimidating (though a rather odd-looking bunch of people!); the LEA rep was particularly friendly and chatted a lot to us while we were waiting for the panel to review the schoolwork.

Most of the questions we were familiar with having read these pages, however one threw us somewhat, as they asked what his practice paper results were! We'd not even thought about them since October, as we thought (based on comments made by various people) that they were largely irrelevant to the case. Also, they weren't that impressive, as he didn't even finish the first 2, though he did get 90% on the 3rd. The best response would probably have been to be vague, and only mention the last one; unfortunately, caught off guard, my wife went into the full gory details! Perhaps we'll get extra points for honesty :roll:

I was just wondering what people thought about this, and whether it was fair of them to even ask this question? If these results tip the panel's decision the wrong way, do we have grounds to appeal? To be honest I'm not that confident anyway as we didn't have that much concrete evidence of his ability, but I'd be annoyed if this made a difference.

Anyway, good luck to everyone yet to face the panel, and be prepared with an answer to this question!
capers123

Re: Asked for practice paper results at appeal

Post by capers123 »

hertsdad wrote:the panel ... a rather odd-looking bunch of people!

But I wasn't on a panel today. You mean there's other weird looking panel members?
asked what his practice paper results were! We'd not even thought about them since October, as we thought (based on comments made by various people) that they were largely irrelevant to the case.
We also ask that one. It's primarily to see if the result on the day was an aboration or in line with the practice papers.
I was just wondering what people thought about this, and whether it was fair of them to even ask this question? If these results tip the panel's decision the wrong way, do we have grounds to appeal?
You can only take it to the ombudsman if there was an error in the procedure of the appeal - one of the panel being a teacher at the school, the LEA rep offering the panel a bribe, etc. Panels have a duty to dig deep and ask questions, maybe awkward ones. However, if your child had done brilliantly in the practice papers,and you'd told the panel that, would you be asking this now?
Good luck, anyway.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

This is the situation in Bucks:
(Quote from the Q&As)
E17. Are the results of the Bucks practice papers useful evidence?

I very much doubt whether any appeal panel would accept the results of practice papers as evidence. They have not been officially marked and standardised, and as Patricia has mentioned elsewhere, the same practice papers have been used for years and years, and taken home, so no one can ever be sure who has had sight of them in advance.

You might be asked how your child got on with the practice papers – this does not mean that the results will be considered valid evidence.
It's not an unfair question. Usually it's a "filler", and a high score in the practice papers would be discounted - but if you volunteered a low score ......... I wonder!
Etienne
hertsdad

Post by hertsdad »

Thanks for the replies - guess I missed that comment in the FAQs!

Thinking about it, though, it still seems extremely dodgy to trust the parents' answer to such a key question. If we had been less honest we could easily have made up a believable set of scores that were all decent passes, and it's totally unverifiable as he sat the test papers at home! Do Bucks schoolchildren have it included in the Head's report? Personally I think that panels should not be allowed to use any results that are not confirmed by some verifiable source (e.g. Head or the actual paper, though even that is open to abuse).

I'm not implying that loads of parents would try and cheat in this way, and it's obviously not the only piece of evidence that is considered, but I'm sure there are people out there who would do anything to get little Johnny through...

Ah well, got that off my chest; now just got to wait for the letter!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

it still seems extremely dodgy to trust the parents' answer to such a key question.
Ah, but it's unlikely the answer would be trusted! :D

Unless of course you volunteered some low scores ...... Why would anyone lie about them? :)
Etienne
traccb

Post by traccb »

Hi everyone but especailly to the Hertsdad. I've finally plucked up courage to join the fab website - really wished I'd found it before my appeal. Ours was held on the first day. My daughter scored 120/120, achieved level 5 in Eng last summer and had predicted grades of 5A (eng) , 5B (sc) and 4a/5c in Maths. Before Xmas she sat a maths paper under test conditions at school and achieved 5c. I took a letter in from the head to confirm this. Headteacher rec: 2,1 and OoS 2 (only 1 passed above her). You can probably guess the outcome - she didn't get in ! However we were asked whether she had done practise papers at home beforehand, did she finish in time and did she feel well prepared. I was like your wife and was brutally honest (perhaps naive!)and answered yes . I too wondered if this tipped the balance against us so I know how you feel. We ( my daughter included) still haven't got over the disappointment a month on and find it difficult as a child ranked below with lower scores was successful on appeal. I, like you hoped that being honest would bring it's reward so I sincerely hope it does for you. Heart felt sympathy as I too have been there. :cry:
hertsdad

Post by hertsdad »

Thanks all - just one final thought on the matter though: Why bother asking the question if you're not going to trust the answer?!
wraysburymum

Traccb results

Post by wraysburymum »

Hi Traccb

I am upset to read your post, with such high scores you would think it was in the bag! Having read the posts avidly for a few months now, I know that nothing in this process is a certainty. All I can say is check out the 12+ references (see Dejavu etc) and put your efforts into a re-run. You obviously have a very bright child, but the outcome was against you this time. Time is a great healer and hopefully you will come back strong and get back on track. Best wishes from all of us, I'm sure :shock:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Why bother asking the question if you're not going to trust the answer?!
Filler questions ...... :D
Etienne
mummalea01

Post by mummalea01 »

Was that aberration ? :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now