Camp Hill Boys or Five Ways

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sahara1

Camp Hill Boys or Five Ways

Post by Sahara1 »

Hello,

I was looking for some advice as I have seen some post that a child have scored 228 and could secure a place with CHB ...the qualify score is 243 for CHB if my child has scored 243 what is the likely hood of them getting a place on the 1st March?

also which is the better school CHB or Five Ways?

Any help would be good.
ToadMum

Re: Camp Hill Boys or Five Ways

Post by ToadMum »

Leaving aside the issue of today being nine days after you needed to submit your CAF, the answer to the 'Which is the better school?' question is,' the one which is best for your child'. What did he think about the schools when he visited them? One is boys only and the other mixed, I believe, so would have a rather different 'feel' to them merely because of that. They are both respected schools which get good results out of an above average intake; please remember that 'prestige' means very little to a child who isn't happy at school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sahara1

Post by Sahara1 »

he liked both of them and I have submitted the form now but I was not sure if he would get CHB as he scored the qualify mark...I was also wanted to know if QM was a good boys and how it compares to FW or CHB???

it has been a journey.
PamB

Post by PamB »

Aquacarey wrote:he liked both of them and I have submitted the form now but I was not sure if he would get CHB as he scored the qualify mark...I was also wanted to know if QM was a good boys and how it compares to FW or CHB???

it has been a journey.
Aquacarey wrote:he liked both of them and I have submitted the form now but I was not sure if he would get CHB as he scored the qualify mark...I was also wanted to know if QM was a good boys and how it compares to FW or CHB???

it has been a journey.

All three schools are excellent, and there is very little difference between them in terms of academic achievement. Any differences are subjective in my opinion and everyone has their own "feel" for the schools. For us, we weighed up how we and our son felt at the schools, the breadth of curricular and extracurricular offers (which were all excellent - and differences were really minor), what aspects seemed to be emphasised, co-ed or not, and distance to travel to the school and practicality.

In our situation, we decided on KEFW because we really liked the feel of the school. We liked the fact that it was mixed and socially diverse, felt the curriculum was more broad than CHB (for example in terms of language teaching, sport and home conomics (which CHB didn't seem to offer at all!). We felt CHB was a lovely but old fashioned style English school, very rugby centric, much more focused on sciences and maths but less emphasis on other subjects (except music which was also strong), too focused on academic achievement as the ultimate goal, and just not quite right for our DS. I also know personally of a couple of men who went to CHB as pupils who have independently mentioned the pressure they felt whilst there - and how because the intake tends to be very high achieving, a good pupil (who perhaps would be the highest achieving in other schools, but lower achieving compared to other boys at this school), would still feel inferior and treated as such by staff. Things may have changed, but this felt wrong to us and may have coloured our judgement.

QMB was an excellent school too, more rounded in terms of curriculum (compared to CHB in our opinion), nice feel and great curricular and extracurricular opportunities - but a more difficult and complex commute for us.

So for us, we chose KEFW over CHB, even though the distance is further, but not ds far as getting to QMB.

In terms of scores - my reading of posts on this site and understanding of the process, suggests that the number of children sitting the exam this year was similar (only slightly higher) than last year. So the qualifying scores shouldn't change too much. The only thing that could change scores at the edges would be if there were major shifts in how parents ranked their preferred schools, but that is most unlikely. In any case, a score of 243 woul put that child in the top 250 children who took the test (probably top 125 boys), so even if all the others who had a higher score put CHB as first choice, your DS would get in.
Sahara1

Post by Sahara1 »

Thank you for your reply.

To be honest both schools are too far for us but I felt if my child has done well then I should at least give my child the opportunity to attend the top schools in Birmingham. We really liked FW and to be honest was not impressed on the look of the school at CHB but after reading articles I also liked the head master I felt he was really engaging on the open days and his speech was impressive he also made time for each parent or child who had questions....which was very helpful at the end of his speech.

However I am afraid that it can be a examination factory and I would not want my child to feel de - motivated against other high achievers peers as this school is geared up for very high achievers as it has the highest score mark..even thou I have read that some children who scored very high the 11 plus exam normally not always the high achievers during the school.

I liked QM but felt that KEFW & CHB were slightly more academic and had more facilities...also had that slight edge.

Fingers cross on March 1st.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

PamB wrote:
The only thing that could change scores at the edges would be if there were major shifts in how parents ranked their preferred schools, but that is most unlikely
There were shifts in the pattern of applications last year. King Edward FW had some 500 extra applicants putting it as a preference, increasing from 1377 in 2014 to 1877 in 2015. Those sorts of numbers can and do shift cut off scores.

The other KE most at risk of cut off score shifts is KEVIHS. This is because last year was relatively low in terms of preferences and not all pupil premium places were taken. Both of these will jump this year. I would not expect offers on 1/3 for KEVIHS to be, below 222 (non pupil premium) and 215 pupil premium.

If you have 210 and are on Pupil premium and have put KEVIHS as your 1st choice, you need to have a plan B back up, because that place is by no means certain.
Sahara1

Post by Sahara1 »

what if your child has scored 243 what is the likely hood they will get a place CHB on the 1st March?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If the school is too far for you, then it is irrelevant,.
Sahara1

Post by Sahara1 »

It is far but do able one but we are willing to move.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I would be surprised if you did not get it off the waiting list. Not sure why the 1/3 is so key it is not the end of the road.

I am personally expecting to have to wait to see how thing play out for my DC at KEVIHS. I am hopeful that with 223 we will get a place off the waiting list by August 2016. It would be hugely unlucky not to get a place given 216 off waiting list last year, but as can be seen 8 point jumps are possible, off the back of last years assignment of 20% places to pupil premium.

KE schools have between 0% and 20% PP places to further allocate this year, e.g. 8 unused PP places at KEVIHS last year, that will almost certainly get taken this year. That alone would have pushed the non PP cut off to 221 from 219.

I understand Five Ways used 100% of its pupil premium places last year, so I expect no impact from that other than a rise in the PP cut off. Stats tell me less will apply to FW this year. Gut feel based on other parents behaviour is that it will rise further. Higher numbers took test, so consensus appears to be that 2-3 point rise in cut off marks, across the board.

My feel is that it will be 225 at KEVIHS because

1) increased takers overall
2) increased preferences
3) Increased take up of PP places.

Usually a couple of point slack so fingers X.

FW performance is better than all other KE schools, but I would still take camp hill despite pastoral concerns. Not an option for us however anyway
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now