Tiffin Girls' School Stage Two test (14/11/15)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stroller

Tiffin Girls' School Stage Two test (14/11/15)

Post by Stroller »

This is to wish all the girls who are sitting tomorrow's TGS exam the very best of luck. This year, they are all walking into the exam room on the same basis, with everything to play for. Last year the top scorer(s) from round one arrived with up to 30% of the marks already secured, while at the other end of the scale some only had a percent or two. That seemed a disproportionate handicap/advantage.

As I said on the other thread, results will matter to the level of two decimal places. Do not disadvantage your daughter. Don't make life easy for competitors. Every detail you reveal makes the test easier for girls who sit the test later than yours (and there will be some, for various reasons).

Please do not discuss the specifics of what came up in the test online or offline or even with a tutor afterwards unless you are speaking with the parent of a child your child definitely saw in the exam room for stage two.

Remind your daughter not to share details in school either. You have no idea whose niece / cousin / friend is trying to gain an unfair advantage.

By all means write details down this week while they're fresh in your mind. But my advice is to keep them to yourself at least until you know the outcome. I'd say that applies at least until the beginning of March, maybe longer if you find yourself on the waiting list.

A couple of people asked me for details of last year's exam by PM. I didn't reply because I don't think it's fair to discuss content and format that would give a handful of people extra info. I think you all have a fair shot at this - we had zero extra knowledge last year because we were 100% DIY and DD still got a place. She is very happy in year 7 now and the girls are friendly and funny and kind.

Advice for the morning? Allow loads of time to get there early. Remind the girls to keep calm and keep working the whole time. Be careful not to get stuck and spend too long on a question that isn't working out. Move on. Every mark counts and you won't get any marks for questions you don't attempt. If the exams are hard (and they probably will be), most people will find them hard too. There's no point in being scared, do your best and see how it goes. Have an easy day afterwards. The girls will be tired.

http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... 16-17.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
mumsdarling2

Re: Tiffin Girls' School Stage Two test (14/11/15)

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Though I don't have a DD and I know no-one sitting for Tiffin's, I do second everything you have said here Stroller. Very practical and sound advice.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Good post, Stroller. Good Luck to all the girls.

Re test contents, please read FAQ 13 and don't get into any trouble.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Link to FAQs.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

So, did it look like this? :)

This thread is intended to protect the girls who sit the test on time. It shouldn't dissuade people from chit chat as long as people steer clear of x questions about y topics in z amount of time. Asking people to keep details to themselves is not supposed to silence everyone from chatting about general impressions and moaning about the miserable weather! I hope the girls survived the ordeal and are delighted to have Stage Two out of the way.

tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Perhaps we all are exhausted.
Stroller wrote:So, did it look like this? :)
Even better. :lol: :lol:

DD and some of her friends had jolly good time in Kingston centre, after the test, on their own, while the parents sat in M&S cafe or went for shopping.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Doing something that involved staying indoors sounds rather sensible...

tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I think forgetting all about the tests and relaxing is the priority.
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

I wish the best to everyone waiting for National Allocation Day!!

I hope your DCs get their first choice of school.