Bracknell council only offers 3 places on the CAF !

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
QUEENMA

Bracknell council only offers 3 places on the CAF !

Post by QUEENMA »

Hi All
I think it is rather unfair for children living in Bracknell that we can apply only for 3 schools at the 11 plus admission stage as the council CAF form offers only 3 options. Considering Bracknell does not have grammar schools and perhaps not very good comprehensives at least IMHO, what have parents done in the past to apply for more schools ? Can this not be changed ?
What advice do parents who have gone through a similar admission process give ?

Queenma
Daogroupie

Re: Bracknell council only offers 3 places on the CAF !

Post by Daogroupie »

We only had 3 in Herts when we applied in 2009 and 2010 and this was totally unfair as all the surrounding boroughs had 6, twice as many.

We did lots of persistent lobbying and now we have 4! DG
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Until a few years ago Wokingham only had three slots too. Now is the time to lobby them as they may be putting out admissions policies out for consultation soon.

A colleague of mine was from Bracknell, and he didn't have a high opinion of the comps either. He has sent his DS to an indie instead.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

I don't know when it changed but Wokingham has 4 places in the CAF for past few years. I do not know why it's not the same numbers for each and every council throughout the country
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It seems to go against the code that some boroughs get twice as much choice than others.

That until 2012 parents in London boroughs had twice as many choices of Herts schools than parents actually based in Herts was just bizarre. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I think the Admissions Code stipulates that LEAs must allow a minimum of 3 preferences. Presumably, whether or not they offer more is up to them.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now