Message for Asha - envelope sizes

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pochu

Message for Asha - envelope sizes

Post by pochu »

Have a look at the thread entitled "Schools in Middlesex" from last year regarding the waiting and getting the envelopes. Agonising isn't it !!

Good Luck!
asha

Post by asha »

Many thanks, pochu. So fingers crossed for A4 or A5!!
londongirl

Message for Asha

Post by londongirl »

Hi Asha, Did you get what you want. We did the same exams I think and we went for Putney High too. Hope you did well. Enjoyed our conversation about the horrible group 2 consortium paper.
asha

Post by asha »

Hi Londongirl,

Congrats to you and dd!

We are trying to decide between Godolphin and Latymer Upper. Any views?

Asha
londongirl

For Asha

Post by londongirl »

So are we! It has been a hard time of indecision. We have now 98% decided on Latymer Upper for a few different reasons. It's impressive isn't it? Facilities are unequalled , theatre, swimming pool, art studio, outside space, playing fields sport which I am told is for everyone, not just for the teams and I have a feeling that girls in their early teens need to run off some of the angst, whether they want to or not, I think it is good for them. great art and music. It just seems more of an all round school. Earlier finish time (not much but it all helps if they want to do things after school, clubs etc.). Academically, great results .and I am told will probably shoot up even further this year as this is the year when they get girls/boys GCSE results. good atmosphere and I am told by those with daughters there that the girls are taken care of and really valued pastorally.

Godolphin is great ,academically they are pushed hard. A fair amount of pressure, I have a bit of a feeling that this is because it is not balanced enough.I know some people with daughters there who are happy . In a lot of respects we feel we know Godolphin pretty well which is some ways make it a safer choice for us. But we at last have reminded ourselfs that is would not be us going there but our DD and I know people whose daughters find it a bit anonymous and feel a bit invisible. It has been a very very tought call, I can't tell you how hard. We are probably going to come down in favour of Latymer Upper though, because it feels l the school is going places, and is a bit more multi dimensional, maybe more balanced. DD likes the fact that they are only in school for four and a half days per week with a half day running round.! I know they are pushed hard academically in both though. Just feels more right for us and I think she would have opportunities to develop herself in lots of ways acadmically and creatively (she is impressed by the boathouse too!) while taking care of the academics at the same time. Someone I know also had to make this choice last year and was agonised, but is very happy that she went to LU. What do you think you will do. Do you have an instinct on it all. Somtimes we have to rely on our instincts too don't you think?
londongirl

message for Asha

Post by londongirl »

and big congratulions to your DD and to you too because we both know what we all went through to help them get to here. We should be very proud of these little girls.
asha

Post by asha »

Hi Londongirl,

We are so confused too, although at the moment are leaning towards Godolphin, and these are the reasons.

The school is getting a new headmistress and so will have some rejuvenation. In addition, they have had some major donations from a benefactor and the money is being well spent towards a performing arts centre and sports facilities. They seem to be on the ball academically too. It offers IGCSE and IB at 6th form, and is one of the only girls' schools to offer triple award in Science. The teaching, is very strong in the Sciences and Maths, subjects where girls underperform in a co-ed school.

Latymer has many advantages - the art is great, performing arts too. But which secondary school does not offer these? I dread the difficult teenage years, and wonder whether the presence of boys will make it any harder. There is pressure on the girls at Latymer because of the boys. But this depends on what type of daughter you have; after all the real world consists of men and women and why not let our girls be aware of this from an early age?

Godolphin is definitely the safer option, but with latymer it may be a case of 'high risk, high reward'.

What do you think?
londongirl

Post by londongirl »

I suppose the fact that there will be a new headmistress is either a good thing or a bad thing , only time will tell. We love the school because of the academic reputation and love Latymer because of the academic reputation too - I just don't want to go for something solely on academic reputation alone. I want DD to have a well rounded experience. Not worried about Maths , sometimes likes it sometimes doesn't, even though she is good at it. Sciences she loves so know boys won't affect that. Take your point about the arts thing, good in most schools, but still like how it is done at LU. They offer scholarships in academic,music, art, drama and sport, which tells me that they place a higher value on them than other schools who only offer one academic and one music. It's not that we feel DD is talented in these areas but I just believe that if the school values them highly then the school is interested in the whole picture. I thought about the boy thing too but found it interesting that about 20 girls (a fifth) leave Godolphin for A levels elsewhere in London, usually to mixed environments and many of them to Latymer Upper!. A colleages daughter transferred from one to the other last September and I know of several Godolphins who have tried for LU for sixth form this September. We looked at the A level results at both, subject by subject, and they are very similarwhich is interesting as LUs 6th form is much bigger than Godolphin. It's a difficult one. We are nearly there now, despite being pressurised by DD's schoolfriends etc. (there will be a split in our class with two going to LU and two to Godolphin, all have had to choose. Anyway, these are our reasons, and heaven knows, we have really pondered long and hard on this. (we had a wait list elsewhere to but have gone off that completely now). Final reason for our choice is the further investment into the facilities at LU. They also had an anonymous donation of 4£ million (maybe it's the same person), have paid for a new music block and dance centre, and are building a new 4£million science block now.Good luck to you and your DD whatever you choose to do. It's a tough call but for some reason we don't feel it's high risk.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now